Wednesday, May 24, 2006

movies & pizza


One thing about living in Japan, is that you don't always get to see the latest movies at the time they are showing in the U.S. (Plus, movies cost about $18 per person to see! although, they do have a thing called "Ladies Day" when ladies pay only $10, so if anything that's the best time to see a movie)

I had been wanting to see this movie, because I enjoy drinking wine. Unfortunately though, I don't know a lot about wine and it never showed here in Japan. Luckily, my Aunty had a copy of the movie (I think it may be my cousin, D's copy) and let me borrow it.

The movie, Sideways (photo by Amazon.com) was a very nice story about Miles and Jack on a trip to California wine country before Jack's wedding. There was a lot of talk about wine, but also some soul searching for the two of them--mostly for Miles. I loved the atmosphere of wine country and would definitely like to visit there someday.

Today, Satoshi had the day off, so we went to see the Da Vinci code (photo by Random House). I have seen the book in bookstores, and heard a lot about it on television, but haven't read it. I don't want to give anything away, but this movie keeps you on the edge until the very end. (By the way, today was Ladies Day, so my admission was $10, while Satoshi's was $18.)

Dinner was pizza. Remember those oven roasted veggies that I made last night? Yesterday, I had also bought some pre-made pizza dough (like the Boboli brand), threw on some pre-made tomato pasta sauce, put the roasted veggies on and grated some mozzarella. Our oven has a "pizza button"--which when pressed, pre-calculates the amount of cooking time and cooks it. The crust was very crispy while the pizza was chewy...ah, comfort food.

Tomorrow is crochet class, hopefully I can finish the project I'm working on, so I can post about it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I love when I can 're-use" "leftovers" in some clever way like that--the pizza looks awesome. That is cool about the pizza button--huh, I have never heard about that I don't think...off to check mine!! lol.

Anonymous said...

A pizza button?! How ingenious!

I like your taste in movies, Kat. And good for you for taking advantage of Ladies Day!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat,

Wow! $18 for a movie ... !

I'm glad you see the Da Vinci Code. I read the book but haven't seen the movie yet. Although I'm very excited about seeing it especially since it sounds like you recommend it!

Beautiful pizza!

Anonymous said...

Cool that "Da Vinci Code" is playing the same time as "The States." Usually Japan doesn't see these movies until July or so.

I saw it last weekend and I liked it a lot better than the majority of movie critics out there.

K and S said...

Hi TM,

Hope your oven has a "pizza button" too.

Hi Tania,

There is also a "cake button" and "boiled veggie" one too :)

Hi Ivonne,

Yes, the movie is definitely worth seeing. Please do see it.

Hi Greg,

I think a lot of critics don't "see" the movies. They like to read into a lot of things and don't go for the entertainment. I've seen some movies that I found were really good although the critics didn't care for it.

Take care everyone!

Kat

Anonymous said...

movies are horribly exe here too at most big cinemas ($15)

I love roast veggies on pizza!

Anonymous said...

Well I'm feeling pretty smug that I got to see The Da Vinci Code for a bargain at $4.25 (matinees shown before 6pm). I liked it but am glad that I read the book before.

Sideways is a GREAT movie! Funny, funny stuff. Of course my husband and I couldn't help but get goofy whenever we went to purchase wine. We'd always joke about selecting a PEE-noh over the boring old Merlot. ;-)

K and S said...

Hi Clare,

$15 is very expensive!

Hi Rowena,

I have yet to try Pee-noh, I do like Merlot, though ;) I've been reading Australian food magazines and Voignier wines have caught my eye. I'm jealous that you got to see "Da Vinci" for the matinee price, miss stuff like that.

Hope you two are having a great weekend.

Kat