Sunday, February 04, 2007

cheap eats (part 2)

The last time I was home, I wanted to eat at Ba-le Sandwich & Bakery, but didn't get around to doing so.

They are a local company, known for their Vietnamese sandwiches called "banh mi". These sandwiches are made with lots of pickled veggies--daikon (long white radish) and carrots, cucumber, your choice of filling, some cilantro and a warm, crusty french bread (for a little more (about 50 cents), you can have the same sandwich made in a croissant instead of the french bread).

Before moving to Japan, I would often order the vegetarian--which is just the crusty french bread and the veggies (daikon, carrots, cucumber).

Today, I tried the lemon grass chicken sandwich (US$4.71-tax included). The chicken was tender, juicy and very flavorful. And there were a lot of pickled veggies too.

This sandwich is definitely meant to be savored while sitting down somewhere and not on the run (and not while driving in your car!)--it can get a bit messy, as the veggies drop out while taking your bites.

Ba-le also serves plate lunches, summer rolls and sweet treats too!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a giant sandwich, though it looks delicious!
It might be good as a Sunday brunch, which is what I want right now!

Jann said...

Yes, i can see it was packed with veggies-how delicious looking! I could do this for lunch everyday!

OkiHwn said...

I like the pate one. Can't wait!

K and S said...

Sue, it is about 8 inches long, a good sized sandwich. I think you'd like it it has a spicy sauce in it :)

Yes Jann, I think if I lived here I would eat it almost everyday too.

I was kind of leery to try the pate, Nate, what kind of pate is it?

Take care everyone!
Kat

OkiHwn said...

I don't really know. Maybe I'll ask next time. But sure tastes good!

Melting Wok said...

wow, you guys got some good portion size of vietnamese sandwiches there, that's great :) The ones here they love putting preserved dikons and liver pete, do they do that too ? Cheers ! :)

K and S said...

Cool Nate!

Yes Melting Wok, they have a pate and pickled daikon which you can order, I'm not too sure if it is liver though.

Take care you two.

Kat

jasmine said...

It looks absolutley yummy and absolutely filling.

j

K and S said...

It was delicious and filling, Jasmine!

Take care!
Kat

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I LOVE banh mi sooo much!

K and S said...

Isn't it the best, Ellie?! What's your favorite filling?

Take care.
Kat