Friday, February 16, 2007

hawaii eats (part 2)

As I look back, growing up in Hawaii was great, because of all the different kinds of foods you can get your hands on. Not only can you buy them as take out, but with all the different ingredients found at the local supermarkets, you can also make a lot of these foods too.

So, coming home for me is a chance to re-connect with all the foods that I loved while growing up.

Recently, my mom made a batch of Portuguese bean soup. I'm not too sure if it actually is a Portuguese dish, but one of the main ingredients is the spicy Portuguese sausage or linguisa. Linguisa is similar to chorizo. And although living in Hawaii doesn't always have soup eating climates, this soup is perfect for those wet, rainy days.

Another of my favorites is Korean food...kal-bi, mandoo, meat jun, kim chee...yum! Today I had lunch with my friend, Gaye. We ate at the Y'kele Korean BBQ at the Waikele Premium Outlet. For US$6.27, you can get this huge portion of Bi Bim Kook Soo--a cold somen noodle in a sweet broth, with lots of "namul" (a kind of marinade) veggies and a piece of barbecued beef on top. So filling and very delicious.

Y'kele Korean BBQ
Waikele Premium Outlets
94-799 Lumiaina
Phone: 808.676.0988

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That bibim guksoo certainly looks quite different to the one in Korea. Bibim Guksoo is usually spicy noodles without soup here. Though I would like try what you had too. It looks interesting.

K and S said...

I ordered the "mild" version Sue, that is probably why there wasn't much chilies in it.

Take care.
Kat

Betty Carlson said...

All this food looks delicious -- I know nothing about this cuisine -- thanks for sharing it!

K and S said...

You are welcome, Betty!

Thanks for stopping by!
Take care.
Kat