Saturday, February 10, 2007

hilo (part 2)

One of the fun things I like to do in Hilo is to visit the Farmer's Market downtown. There are many vendors selling organic fruits, vegetables, flowers and other food items.

The flower vendors are there everyday. On Wednesdays, some of the fruit and veggie vendors come out, but Saturdays are the best days to go--packed with vendors and buyers there is excitement in the air as you wander the little market. Parking is tight, so go early!

Shark's Nuts not only sells homegrown coffee and mac nuts, but also hand roasted or raw cacao. I got 8 oz. for US $10.

This is the best place to buy papayas too--6 for US$1.00! You won't find this price anywhere.

This woman was choosing a pineapple.

Here, another woman was picking out warabi (fern fiddleheads)

There was also mangoes and fresh organic rambutan--inside these prickly red compartments are juicy white fruits.

If you plan to visit Hilo, make sure to visit on either a Wednesday or Saturday! It is a nice place just to wander, you may even run into someone you know or make a new friend!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your blog a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed reading it.

I am very curious, what are you going to do with the cacao?

wl

K and S said...

Hi Wl,

I'm glad you're enjoying this blog, I'm having lots of great adventures.

I'm not too sure as to what I will do with the cacao, if you have some ideas, please share them with me.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Sorry, no ideas on what to do with cacao, but like you I would have bought some too just because I could! I'm sure you can find some ideas online. Have fun!!

wl

K and S said...

Thank Wl,
I'll check online for more ideas!

Take care.
Kat