Thursday, February 22, 2007

"new" waikiki (part 2)

Today I met my friends, Val & Greg for lunch in Waikiki. Val had talked about going to a sandwich shop which just opened called Mondo Gelato. It is a franchise store which originated in Canada. (UPDATE: the company is now called by another name, and no longer is at this location)

This place opened in an area of Waikiki called the Waikiki Beach Walk. There are some boutiques and eateries in this area as well as hotels.

We ordered from the 3 different panini (grilled sandwiches) that they had, unfortunately, they didn't get their delivery of veggies for the day, so we had VERY plain sandwiches (just the meat and the cheese) :( And for the price we had to pay US$7.96 (this is with a kama'aina (locals) discount), I didn't think it was really worth it.

The star of the meal was, of course, dessert. As you can tell by the name, this shop specializes in what else...gelato! Gelato is Italian for ice cream, but unlike the ice cream that we know in the US, it is a little softer. I tried their Bacio (pronounced BAH-cho)--chocolate gelato with bits (they say chunks, but it was bits) of hazelnuts mixed in...piccolo portion (small) for US$3.93...delicious.

I guess I should have expected lunch to be expensive since I was in Waikiki...at least the company was nice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost 8 bucks for a sandwich w/o veggies? All through no fault of your own? YIKES! Glad that the gelato was tasty though!

Anonymous said...

P.S. The malasada pics in the last post look so wicked GOOD! How I miss Fat Tuesday in the islands! Italy is different as we celebrate Giovedi Grasso, or Fat Thursday.

And while I'm thinking food...have you heard/seen anything about the new taro dips? I read about it on Starbulletin about a month ago.

K and S said...

Fat Thursday, that's different, I'm glad you like the pic of the malasada :)

Haven't heard of those dips, but will check them out, maybe when I go to Tamura's--I'm planning to check them out, they have all kinds of wines and gourmet foods (i.e. chocolates).

Take care Rowena!

Kat