Wednesday, February 28, 2007

"new" waikiki (part 3)

Today, I got together with several friends, Chad, Val & Greg for lunch at a new restaurant in Waikiki called Yard House. This restaurant is from the mainland. If you like beer and loud music, this is the place for you. They have tons of beer on tap, did someone mention 100?!

Anyway, I ordered the portobello burger (US $10.73), since I have never seen portobellos in Japan. And I love these guys in sandwiches! The sandwich (and the portions of the rest of the menu) was huge!

Tomatoes, basil, portobello mushroom, roasted red peppers, sauteed eggplant, feta cheese and a sun dried tomato mayo sandwiched between onion poppyseed buns....delicious!

Since I'm the only one "retired" (the others are still working)...we only had an hour for lunch. Still, it was a nice get together since I hadn't seen Chad for almost 5 years...thanks for lunch, Chad!

Yard House
226 Lewers Street
Honolulu
Phone: 808.923.9273

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird that i've never seen portobellos here either!

K and S said...

That is weird, Rowena! I hope some merchandisers start bringing them in where you are.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

*wipes drool* oh lordy, looking at that picture and reading your description just made me drool all over my keyboard. Now THAT is a burger!

Jann said...

That is one great sandwich-sounds like you had a great time with your friends, too-

K and S said...

Thanks Ellie and Jann, the burger was very good and being with friends even better!

Take care you two!
Kat

bourgogne said...

i love portobello sammiches! in france they have those kind of mushrooms (cepes) but they never let them grow that big. we can find large ones in the forest but our French friends and neighbors swear that you shouldn't eat them when they're big. i think they say they don't taste like anything. pffff! they need to put on the bbq! :D

K and S said...

on the bbq would make them taste awesome! I think the tiny portobellos are called baby bellas here in the U.S. Your friends are truly missing out, Bourgogne!

Take care.
Kat

alan said...

I haven't made it to the Yard House yet, but really want to. I was talking to a local beverage guy who said that the local distributers only bring about 60 types of beer to Hawaii in kegs. His guess is that Yard House must be shipping them over directly to have to many choices.stupid

K and S said...

At first my friend thought they made their own beer, but was told that it is shipped over. :( Hope you get a chance to try the food, Alan!

Take care.
Kat

alan said...

Hmm, in my comment above I'd started to say something totally different about the challenges of shipping to Hawaii, but then apparently didn't erase my complete thought. Just strike "stupid" from the end. There's nothing stupid about YH bringing over beer on their own ;)

K and S said...

No problem, Alan! With 60 beers on tap, I don't think I would be able to choose! And maybe, I've been out of the bar scene awhile, but, don't order the martinis, I've heard they cost $9.50 a pop!(is that normal for them to cost that much?)

Take care.
Kat