Saturday, February 17, 2007

"new" waikiki

If you haven't been to Hawaii lately, Waikiki is getting a MAJOR face lift. Older hotels have been torn down, new ones are coming up. There is even a condo produced by Donald Trump which I've heard sold out within the first few hours of coming onto the market! It is kind of chaotic with all the construction going on.

Today, I was in Waikiki lunching with my friend, Carroll. She took me to Atlantis Seafood & Steak. This restaurant and other retail shops and eateries sits on the grounds of the old Waikiki 3 movie theater.

The restaurant has a lanai area with tables and ceiling fans. Perfect for hot Hawaiian days.

For starters, I had a salad. I still can't get over the portions here in the U.S.! but, I loved the thinly sliced beets on top.

My main dish was fish moco--a variation of loco moco. They grilled mahimahi (dolphin fish) and topped it off with an over-easy egg and their original gravy. I think it could have be served without the benishoga (red ginger) on top, though.

And for dessert, coconut haupia pie. Haupia is a local dessert that is the consistency of hardened gelatin but tastes like coconut. This was served with raspberry and caramel drizzles.

Everything was delicious and of course, the company and conversation was great!


And in the early evening, while riding on the freeway, we were able to catch a bit of paradise...a rainbow.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

Atlantis Seafood & Steak
2284 Kalakaua Avenue Suite 201
Honolulu
Phone: 808.922.6868

10 comments:

bourgogne said...

i could use that coconut haupia pie right about now ;-)

if memory serves me right, hawaii is the place that i've seen the most rainbows, including double rainbows and moonbows.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a lovely lunch with your friend. Great!
By the way, did you change your camera? It seems a bit brighter and clear than before. :)

Ari (Baking and Books) said...

Haupia sounds great, as a coconut lover I definitely want to try it now!

Ari (Baking and Books)

Anonymous said...

Every time I come here I get soooooo hungry!!!

OkiHwn said...

I'm here. Got in last Wednesday.

Nate

K and S said...

Yes Bourgogne, double rainbows and moonbows, awesome stuff!

No Sue, I haven't changed my camera, I'm still looking for a new one though.

Ari, I think you would love this pie.

Thank you Ivonne!

Cool Nate, will email you.

Take care everyone!
Kat

Anonymous said...

My God! You're killin' me with all of the food episodes...but I love all of it!

Now if I only had a pair of ruby red shoes, then I could click my heels together and say "There's no place like home, there's no place like home..."

K and S said...

Sorry to make you homesick, Rowena. But I'm thinking of all my Hawaii expat friends when I eat :)

I know you just went back, but I hope you can come home soon!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

you're lucky to visit such a beautiful place !
i'm french and i have visited your blog. i think it's funny to communicate with people all around the world and staying at home.
You can visit my sites too.
http://guydubizbizet.boosterblog.com/

you'll see what il fashion in france today !!
http://goodvibes.zlio.com/

K and S said...

Thanks for stopping by, Guy!
You have a nice site, I'm bummed that I can't read French though.

Take care.
Kat