Wednesday, July 04, 2007

trying to beat the heat

The one thing that I cannot get used to living in Japan is the humidity. In Hawaii, the only time it is humid is usually before it rains. In Japan, the humidity just lingers, before, during and after rain. For the past couple of days, the humidity has been really uncomfortable. One thing that you have to watch out for during the summer is natsubate (heat exhaustion). Some people lose their appetites during the summer and thus succumb to natsubate.

Luckily (or unluckily), my appetite is intact. Still, standing near the stove cooking is a chore during these months.

The dish that I prepared for dinner last night didn't require me to stand near the stove. I just put everything into a pot and left it to cook for the required time. Rainbow Drive Inn Shoyu Chicken served with sliced okra on rice.

Would you believe that I had never eaten okra until coming to Japan? Okra's sticky/slimy enzyme is supposed to help fight off natsubate and help keep your appetite intact, so load up on okra, it is in season here now! Hopefully, it is in season where you are too.

6 comments:

Fran said...

Wow--I didn't know okra would do all of that! Maybe that's why we eat so much of it. We love it fried & I will eat it other ways but others at my house will only eat the fried version of it. I guess I need to stock up since it will be 116 degrees in Phoenix today!

K and S said...

Wow Fran 116 degrees that is HOT! You better turn up the A/C and start cooking up some okra :)

Stay cool where you are. Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

You lucky girl...I'm jealous! Okra is just not happening here. Sometimes I can find it at the ethnic stores but they're old and tough. One of my fave vegs!

K and S said...

I wonder if you could plant some, Rowena? I've seen plants around here, they are pretty interesting looking. I hope you can get some okra soon!

Take care!
Kat

OkiHwn said...

You must like the Rainbow shoyu chicken.

K and S said...

I like it because it is super easy to make, Nate! Thanks again for sharing.

Take care.
Kat