Wednesday, August 22, 2007

deconstructed lettuce cups

Satoshi and I really like minced pork with lettuce cups. It was an appetizer we used to order at a bar we used to often go to in Hawaii. (Ryan's Bar & Grill, I wonder if it is still on the menu?)

Last year, after finding hoisin sauce here, I made this using minced chicken and posted about it here.

Since I had some water chestnuts left over from our foodie staff parties, I decided to make minced pork with lettuce cups.

I was a bit disappointed with the lettuce though, they were so puny! (Must be due to the weird weather that has been occurring around Japan.) So instead of using the leaves as cups, I tore them up and made it into a warm salad of sorts.

It still hit the spot.

5 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

One time I ran out of lettuce and used Vietnamese dried rice papers to wrap. They were just as good!

I also dislike puny lettuce.

K and S said...

ooh, nice idea Jaden! I was thinking tortillas or something. Aren't puny lettuce the pits for this recipe!

Thanks for stopping by and take care.
Kat

Brilynn said...

I should make things like this more often, I always enjoy it when I do, and I love adding water chestnuts for crunch.

Rowena said...

I read about your foodie staff parties....what a major job! On top of that when I read that it was customary to serve the hostess' gift to the guest, I was like EH? I'd share some of it but not ALL of it!

K and S said...

I hope you try this Brilynn, super easy.

I know, Rowena! I was like, why do have to share that cake?! Guess you should give the hostess stuff you want to eat!!

Take care you two.
Kat