Tuesday, August 07, 2007

gojyozaka tokimatsuri

Today was the Gojyozaka Tokimatsuri (pottery festival) in Kyoto.






Every year around this time, they line the streets of Gojyo and sell all kinds of pottery, including Kiyomizuyaki, which is famous in Kyoto.






I've always wanted to go to this festival but didn't get around to it until today. There was all kinds of pottery--dishes, vases, mugs, even little trinkets.

It was so hot and humid too.

I found an asagao (morning glory), braving the direct sunlight.


Remember those meter readers? I found them battling the heat too.


There were even lamp beads called tombodama.







I did a lot of window shopping, and a lot of the photos I took were done secretively, I don't know why they wouldn't want the pottery photographed....oh well, I'll leave you with this "cool image" from the Tatsumibashi in Gion.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! Kat, you sneaky you! It's like the grocery stores here that won't let you take photos of the food. Like we/somebody is gonna steal it or something? Drives me nuts...

K and S said...

Rowena,

I'm glad I chose the point and shoot type of camera, now I can go "undercover"...he he.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

the panda bears are adorable! even the beads are cute! -bourgogne

K and S said...

I know, Bourgogne! and they didn't want me photographing their stuff!

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Really nice picture of the stream!

K and S said...

I really wanted to jump in, Nate! It was so hot today!

Take care.
Kat

Unknown said...

Wow, Kat! How wonderful! I love all things pottery, and if I could go to a festival like that, I think I'd come home with an empty wallet!

Rowena, even in some grocery stores in the States you're not allowed to take pictures.
But I'm sure you can take lots of pictures at your local mercato! :)

The Lone Beader® said...

I would've enjoyed visiting a festival like that...

K and S said...

If you are still in Japan next year, Marianna, please check out the festival in Kyoto. I think you would enjoy it!

I hope you get a chance to visit Japan soon, Lone Beader!

Take care you two.
Kat

Monkey Wrangler said...

Nice pics Kat! Thanks for taking us on your field trip. It reminded me of show and tell from grade school.

I'm with Nate on the stream photo (my favorite!)

K and S said...

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the field trip, Monkeywrangler!

Take care.
Kat