Tuesday, September 25, 2007

die-hard fan

If you thought the rice farmer in Okayama was a die-hard Hanshin Tigers fan. There is a rice vendor in Ishibashi (where we live) who delivers rice on his Tiger-striped bicycle and in his Tiger-striped truck. If you look at the picture with the bicycle, you'll see his black and yellow shirt which he also wears when he goes on deliveries. (is he dedicated or what?) In Japanese, they call a fan like him Torakichi, which means he's crazy for the Tigers. He's been on the local news several times and featured whenever the Tigers are doing well. I guess you could say he's famous, well, in our neck of the woods, anyway.

During the day, I've often passed him along the street and he always smiles and says "hi". When we passed his shop today, he was there and graciously let me photograph his vehicles.

Although the Tigers are losing their steam, they have 8 more games until the end of the regular season. Hopefully, they'll be able to maintain their 3rd place position so that they can go to the play-offs.

I've had this peeve ever since moving to Japan..for all those television stations out there, show the end of the game!! What's the point of even broadcasting a game if you aren't going to show the end of it! (They will cut off a game in the bottom of the 9th inning with 2 out, just to show 5 minutes of commercials!)

Go Tigers!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so great! Although it brings bumble bee to mind a bit more than tigers.

PS I was quite fond of a Hanshin Tigers baseball cap that I got in high school and lost over the years. Wish I still had it.

K and S said...

It's too bad that you lost the cap, might be quite a collector's item, Myra.

Take care and thanks for stopping by.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Tigers fans are awesome! Win or lose, they are still fans. I live in Dragons territory, but there are a lot of Tigers fans here. Go Tigers!

Anonymous said...

Now, that's a fan. ;-)

Hey! That doesn't make sense that they don't broadcast the end of the game.

Paz

K and S said...

Thanks Bikkuri!

Paz, the tv stations give an allotted time for broadcast and if the game isn't over, they sometimes extend for 15 minutes or so, but if they don't, the just end the broadcast mid-inning or sometimes mid-play. As an American and baseball lover, I couldn't and still haven't gotten used to this. Even the Japanese complain, but no one listens to them either. Sad.

Take care you two.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

I agree with you on Japanese TV and sports. Doesn't only happen in baseball.

If that happened in the U.S. the stations wouldn't hear the end of it.

It's all about making a buck in Japan. McDonald's had one of their best years ever with their gross and profits. What did they do - they raised their prices! One day the sausage/egg McMuffin was 200 yen, next day was 210 yen!

K and S said...

I didn't know that McDonalds raised their prices. But you are right, Nate, it is all about $$ in Japan. I'm on the internet, because they aren't broadcasting my team (Tigers) game tonight.

Take care.
Kat

obachan said...

Have I ever told you that I used to live very close to Hanshin Koshien stadium? I'm no tigers fan myself, but I kinda feel very close to those torakichi folks.

Yeah, the way Japanese TV ends broadcasting before the game finishes is such a shame. When that happens, I go straight to yahoo Japan sports website to find out the result.

K and S said...

Some Tiger fans would be envious of you to live that close to Koshien stadium, Obachan! I hear you about the Yahoo sports, I was on it last night because they didn't televise the Tigers game.

Take care!
Kat

nordwolke said...

This reminds me of the Tigerenten-Club, a German children's programme. Here is a picture of the Tigerente (Tigerduck).

http://baby.pascalvorsmann.de/images/gfx_tigerente.gif

You can buy it as a cuddly toy here. He might want one! :)

K and S said...

That is cute, Beadexplorer!

Take care.
kat

Yakyuu Shonen said...

Oh, now that's just an awesome fan. Cool photos!

K and S said...

Thanks Yakyuushonen. Unfortunately, the Tigers have lost 6 or 7 games straight!!

Take care.
Kat