Wednesday, November 14, 2007

nakanoshima

After our wonderful tour, we rode a ferry to an island in the middle of the Katsuura port to our hotel, Nakanoshima (which means the island in the middle).

This hotel is built around a mountain, so to get to different parts of the hotel, you sometimes need to go a-r-o-u-n-d.

The first thing when we did after we checked in was go to take a look at their observation deck. It was a 450m walk up, down and around on a trail to the top of the island. Here you can see the Bay of Katsuura. The islands in the bay are called Kii-Matsushima because it resembles the islands in Matsushima Bay in Sendai.

Also at the top is a little area with an ashiyu (foot bath), here you can take your shoes off and soak in the hot, sulfur smelling water. They also had little stones sticking up so that you could stand up and press on different pressure points on your feet.

From the top of the hotel you could see the men's rotenburo (outdoor bath). Luckily (or unluckily) no one was in there at the time. The women's rotenburo is covered by the corner of the building. When I was in the outdoor bath I had to duck down quickly as a boat passed right in front! Yipes!

In one of the lobby areas, they had a model of the whaling boats that were used to catch whales. Several of these boats would corral around the whale as someone harpooned it. The painting in the background shows the fishermen harpooning a whale.

This was our view from our room. It was also the parking area for the hotel's boats.

Dinner was again a kaiseki meal, but after the delicious meal we had at Godaikan, this wasn't anything special, in fact, everything had been put out way before, so most items were cold.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I love it!! I have to go check out those places. Thanks for pointing out the great spots that I can't seem to find searching the web or asking my friends. My friends don't do "touristy" things.

K and S said...

Hi Rick,
We've only been here for 6 years, and everything is still new to me, so my husband is all for exploring and doing the touristy things :) On my travel site, you can check out some of the other places we've visited before this blog.
K&S travel page

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful adventure. Thanks for sharing it with us. ;-)

Paz

K and S said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it Paz!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Great place, but the food was cold?!? I love the view from your room...hmmm...now you've given me an idea!

OkiHwn said...

Yah, this kaiseki pales in comparison to the one from Godaikan!

K and S said...

As soon as they brought out the tempura piping hot, I ate it, Rowena!

Definitely, Nate!

Take care you two.
Kat