Tuesday, January 22, 2008

daikan

Last May, Nate sent me a foodie care package filled with goji berries, mayo (Best Foods) and several packets for his herbal chicken soup.

Summer was way too hot to make soup, so I finally made some last night. On the Japanese calendar, January 21st was daikan (literally large cold) which translates to the coldest day. So, what a better way to warm up than with some soup.

I put several pieces of chicken with the skins on, into some water, added the packet contents brought everything to a boil with a nub of ginger and some spinach, then simmered it for one hour.

I added some salt and pepper to taste and then threw in a handful of goji berries at the end.

Then with a fork, I picked out the skin of the chicken (otherwise Satoshi won't eat the soup) and then shredded the chicken. My version didn't come out as soupy as Nate's still, it was a nice, comforting way to warm up on a near freezing night.

Thanks Nate!

10 comments:

Jenny said...

It's been pretty windy in Hawaii this weekend, that looks like a great bowl of soup I could curl up with in bed. :)

K and S said...

Thanks Jenny! I hope you get a bowl of soup to warm up with :)

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Just a matter of putting more water initially or while simmering. Putting in initially really brings out the flavors.

Rowena said...

You think they sell goji berries in Hawaii? I'm working on a list of things that I'd like to bring back from the islands. Again, so nice of Nate to send you a care package!

K and S said...

I'll try putting more water the next time, Nate. I like this soup though it is very delicious!

Rowena, I think goji berries are the "in-food", or so it was the last time I was home anyway. I think you should be able to find it pretty easily. Nate sends me bacon and I send him beer :)

Take care you two.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

rowena - I get the goji berries from Chinatown in Hawaii. Cheap. That quart zip-loc bag in Kat's picture is a quarter of the bag I brought back.

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds like a very comforting soup. I just tried dried gojis for the first time a few months ago. I can imagine they would be good as a soup topping - adding a little bright note.

K and S said...

The dried gojis plumped up with the soup and added a little sweetness to the soup, Jenndz. I hope you try it in some of your cooking.

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

One of my children loves Best Foods mayo so much that his best mates Mum used to keep a jar in her fridge just for him.

K and S said...

That is so nice Barbara! I grew up on Best Foods and really miss it sometimes.

Take care.
Kat