Tuesday, January 08, 2008

foodie kind of weekend

Saturday, Satoshi and I ran some errands in Umeda. The place we intended to eat at for lunch was unfortunately closed due to the New Year, so we walked around trying to find some place that was open for lunch. We walked past the Marubiru and stopped in at Cante for lunch. I tried this place but a different location with Tamakikat.

This time, I had the tandoori chapati and a marsala chai. Both were delicious and hit the spot.

Satoshi had a dish called dry curry and jasmine tea. The curry had no liquidy sauce. It was a bit sweet but still spicy.

His jasmine tea came with this teeny glass. I think he filled this about 10 times before emptying the pot.

Sunday, we did Hatsumode (visited the shrines and temples to ask for good wishes and thank the gods for everything for the past year).

We stopped at Sone for lunch. This little restaurant only seats 12. I had the Italian omurice. Omurice is a ketchup based fried rice covered or enveloped with a fluffly omelette. This version was good, though the tomato sauce was a bit sweet.

Satoshi had the Japanese style spaghetti with tuna, grated daikon(long white radish) and a shoyu (soy sauce) based sauce. The only thing we didn't like about this dish was that there was LOTS of mayo squirted on top.

For our tea time, we tried these Chamorro Gold Macadamia Nut cookies, which Satoshi brought home from Saipan. Chamorro are the people of the Marianas Islands. These cookies are made in Guam and are very light, buttery and crisp. These cookies have a serving size of 18 cookies. According to Satoshi, he ate his 18 (he actually checked them off as he ate each one)....

Hope your week is going well.

Cante Grande
Marubiru B2
Osaka
Phone: 06.6341.7377

Papa Angelo
3-3-22 Sonehigashino-cho, Viking Building 1F
Toyonaka, Osaka
Phone: 06.6867.1117

4 comments:

Rowena said...

I can just imagine Satoshi checking off the # of cookies as he went through the stash. You guys sure have great kinds of foodie weekends!

K and S said...

Thanks Rowena! I enjoy your hiking weekends :)

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Sounds like you both ate really well! Funny, but I've never quite gotten used to the Japanese-Italian fusion....I had Natto Spaghetti and just thought it tasted kinda weird. Though mayo on spaghetti does sound interesting.

K and S said...

Thanks Kirkk. I don't like natto (too stinky), so I don't think I would try natto spaghetti. I give you credit for doing so.

Take care.
Kat