Friday, January 18, 2008

ishigama bread

Yesterday, the weather was...brrr...freezing. We had flurries off and on during the day. Of course, just the sight of flurries brought a smile to my face.

Growing up in Hawaii, we didn't have snow, so just the sight of flurries makes me jump up and down with joy.

Walking home from the station, the flurries were a bit bigger than the airy ones I've seen and were pelting me, though it felt like being pelted with styrofoam beads.

Anyway, I wanted to show you this big loaf of bread which we got in Nagahama the other day. The store that makes it is called Ishigama (stone oven). Just to the left of the entrance is the 4 shelved stone oven. We were lucky to get a loaf, he only makes 100 a day. (When we went to Nagahama last year, the guy had sold out.)

This bread is delicious. Fluffy and chewy with a light crust. If the crust were thicker, it could pass off as french bread. A real bargain at 630 yen.

Ishigama
5-17 Motohama-cho
Nagahama, Shiga
Phone: 090.4496.8730

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

is bread a big thing in Japan?  The better kind bread, that is.

Rowena said...

That IS a nice big loaf of bread!

Weatherwise, all of sudden the temps shot up from 3C to 10C! Sun is out and word has it that at the very top of the mountain, fresh snowfall measured in at about a meter. Err...maybe a little too deep for hiking without proper snowshoes!

K and S said...

Pretty big, Ronw. There are many articles in foodie magazines about places that bake their own bread.

Thanks Rowena, it will feed us for several breakfasts :) Ooh, snow on the mountain, I think you may need to bust out your snowshoes...if you got them.

Take care you two.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

The loaf look pretty big! Snow flurries I miss those. Have a great weekend! Laura

K and S said...

It was big! Thanks Laura.

Have a great weekend too.

Kat

Anonymous said...

That bread looks delightful! And how lucky that you got one of only 100 loaves. That guy must make a mean loaf of bread to sell out every day.


Ari (Baking and Books)

K and S said...

It was wonderful, Ari! We ate it up...I can see why it sells out every day, it can be quite addicting :)

Take care.
Kat

SteamyKitchen said...

nice bread!

I'm going to email you a recipe from the bread book. I hope you try it because I think you will like it!!!

xoxo, jaden

K and S said...

Thanks Jaden! I'll check my email :)

Take care.
Kat