Tuesday, February 05, 2008

buying local

Are you trying to buy local? Me too, especially when it comes to bringing back omiyage (souvenirs) for family and friends in Japan. Sometimes I want to bring back more than just the "usual" chocolate covered mac nuts or coffee.

I had heard about both of these from Leigh's site, Hapa Hale and found them at Down to Earth recently-- Honey Girl Organics Lip Balm and Bubble Shack soaps. I can't wait to try both products and I hope the people that I give them to will like them also. (UPDATE: the Honey Girl Organics Lip Balm is good but gets hard in cold weather. I guess it takes some warmth from your hands to get it soft before using.)

Another thing I heard about on Leigh's site was Taro Delight. This company makes dips made with taro and other ingredients like olive or sun dried tomatoes. I bought the "taronaise" which tastes like hummus and is great on plain tortilla chips. (I think this would also be good in a sandwich.)

Another thing we tried from the same company was "taro poke". This poke doesn't use fish though, just taro, onions, ogo (seaweed) chili, soy sauce and some sesame seed oil. Both items goes great with beer too. (We had both of them at our Super Bowl party yesterday, sorry the picture doesn't really do it justice.)

I got the taro items at the KCC Farmers Market, it was a rainy day on Saturday, but despite the showers, everyone was out in full force. (and a few minutes later, the rain came down in buckets!)

Despite the rain, there was lots to see, sample and take in. If you have a chance, you should check out this market, parking is free.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

that KCC Farmers Market was indeed wet on Saturday. As far as "buying local," as much as possible, I will buy online from the vendor's own website if they have a website to avoid the bad service from retail stores. I don't even mind paying the extra for shipping. Kona coffee ends up costing me over $40/lb., but then guarantee not to get pissed off from some inapt clerk, and perhaps it's just me.

K and S said...

I did a LOT of online shopping, RONW, this trip home. Inept clerks do get my goat too.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I've got my sights set on that Taro Delight too. Kat, about what time would you suggest to be there at the market? If I can manage a trip over from Kauai, I sure would like to make a visit on Saturday. Fly in, take the bus, and (try not to splurge at Ala Moana!!!). Not sure if they sell Taro Delight on Kauai...as for the poke...oh MAN!

K and S said...

The KCC Market runs from 7:30-11:00 on Saturdays, Rowena. Check the website to make sure that Taro Delight will be there the day you plan to fly in. Or if your sister lives on Oahu, maybe fly in a day before so you can get a headstart :) I hope you get a chance to check out this market.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

kat - so happy you were able to sample a few new things on this trip!

i heart the kcc farmers market! my aunty just told me that the flowers i bought there for the cemetery back in december were *still* alive. you can't beat flowers fresh from the farm!

K and S said...

Wow, still alive, that is great, Leigh! Thanks for all your tips they are always good and informative!

Take care.
Kat