Saturday, February 09, 2008

mocha java & satura cakes

Whenever I come home to the Islands, I usually meet up with my working friends during their lunch hour. Wednesday was no exception. I met my friend, Debi for lunch.

We met at Ward Centre's Mocha Java. I hadn't been there in ages. And usually when Satoshi and I went there, it was for breakfast.

There used to be a restaurant called Crepe Fever next to Mocha Java, but that has since closed and the whole area is now Mocha Java.

Since breakfast was served all day, Debi chose the Breakfast Crepe (US $6.95, I think).

I took the Mexican Crepe (US $7.95), just because Mexican food is hard to come by in Japan. Shredded chicken, lots of veggies, and lots of cheese, a salad and a scoop of brown rice. Sadly, it was way too much food for me, and I couldn't finish it.

Before going to lunch, I surfed the internet and there was a website with coupons. Luckily, there was one for Mocha Java, so we each had a free coffee with lunch. We had a nice lunch and lots of conversation. (Thanks Debi!)

Before leaving Ward Centre, I went to check out Satura Cakes. If I'm not mistaken, think this place comes from California and a Japanese guy, from Japan, working in Silicon Valley started it.

They didn't really have much of a selection, so I picked up some strawberry shortcakes (each US $4.50 +tax), since we have some birthdays in our family coming up...meh, it was more expensive than some of the stuff I've bought in Japan and the cake was a little heavier too.

Changing the subject, look what I found outside despite the rain...(it was actually raining while I took this)

Have a great weekend!

UPDATE: Satura Cakes closed in 2010

15 comments:

nordwolke said...

I love the nature picture! Thanks for sharing.

2kamuela47 said...

That Mexican Crepe looks huge! How was the strawberry shortcakes?

K and S said...

I'm glad you liked it, Beadexplorer.

Not worth the $4.50, Laura.

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi Kat, you've been eating well! On my last birthday my coworker bought me the Classic Chocolate cake from Satura. It was super rich but very good with a nice dark chocolate taste. You're right though, their stuff is expensive.

K and S said...

Definitely not cheap eats, Lori :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too would have gone for the mexican crepe because lack of mexican food in Japan, lol, but it does look huge! Was it yummy? The cakes look just like the ones you get here in Japan!

K and S said...

It was so huge, TM, we could have shared! But it really helped settle the Mexican cravings :0
For the price, the cakes weren't worth it.

Take care.
Kat

bourgogne said...

i think i would have gotten the strawberry shortcakes even if they DID have a huge selection. i want some!

K and S said...

Gosh, Bourgogne, but not for the price!! :o

Take care.
Kat

ilingc said...

Hi Kat,

Your Hawaii Eats posts reminds me a lot of myself whenever I go back to Malaysia. We always go around town looking for all the good food that we can never get in Melbourne. :D

Have to say, the mexican crepe sounds really awesome!

ps. Love the pinky orangey hues in the sunset photo.

K and S said...

Thanks Ilingc, I can just imagine all the good food you get to eat when you got Malaysia :)

Take care.
Kat

Barbara said...

LOve the strawberry shortcake.

K and S said...

Thank you Barbara. You would have enjoyed these then.

Take care.
Kat

Jann said...

I'd love one of the Mexican Crepes~

K and S said...

A little too big for me but delicious, Jann!

Take care.
Kat