Sunday, February 17, 2008

kaka'ako kitchen, palama market

Friday, I met my friend Gaye and we went window shopping. Since she had some errands to run, we didn't get to eat lunch together.

So, on my way home, I picked up some of Kaka'ako Kitchen's bread pudding, which I've heard about from here and here.

A 3-inch by 3-inch hunk of goodness, at (US $3.95 + tax) it is HUGE and worth every penny! I loved the thick pudding and the rich vanilla bean sauce that comes with it--not too sweet, but just enough to settle your sweet tooth.

Since we don't microwave our food, I heated everything in a toaster oven....to die for!

I also picked up some kimbap from Palama Supermarket in Kalihi. I wrote about it previously here. Today's roll was only US $3.00! What a bargain!

On a side note, I must say that I am so happy that the Aloha Spirit isn't dead here! The other day at Costco while I was going to put my cart in the cart area, someone who was going to put his cart away, took mine also! And, people actually hold the door open for you and thank you when you do the same...I love my hometown, I love Hawaii.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For some reason I thought you had already gone back to Japan. Glad to see you're still having a nice visit home!

K and S said...

Thanks Myra, I'm lucky, I get 2 months "vacation" :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

The other day when I was at the grocery store, I told the clerk that I didn't need any plastic bag for my fish because I brought my own. Well she gave me the stinkest look, and proceeded to say that she couldn't understand why I wouldn't take the bag (hello witch, but have you not heard of recycling and trying to lessen the amount of pointless trash in general?). It was her rudeness that really made me wanna smack her, and here all I wanted to do was a good thing.

That last sentence is where it's all at Kat. The Aloha spirit is still alive!

K and S said...

Man Rowena, that cashier should be smacked along with the one I had to deal with in Japan. She threw my plastic produce bag away and when I ranted at her just non-chalantly gave me a new one, no sorry, nothing...argh!

Hawaii no ka oi!

Take care.
Kat

Kathy YL Chan said...

Hi Kat!
Kakaako bread pudding AND kimbap! Oh man, I bet if we were both in Hawaii at the same time, we'd always run into each other, hehe.

The last line, "I love my hometown, I love Hawaii," was just perfect! :)

K and S said...

I think we would probably be eating together at some places too, Kathy :)

Take care!
Kat