Saturday, February 23, 2008

panya

Today, Mom, Dad and Grandma had an appointment in town, so after they were through, we went to Panya at the Ala Moana Shopping Center for lunch.

I remember when Panya had a shop in the McCully Shopping Center. That was many, many moons ago.

Since then, they've gone a bit upscale and now serve foods and even have a bar.

I loved the bakery themed lighting.

I ordered the Vegetarian sandwich with a side order of fries. (US $12.45) Actually, I wasn't prepared for the amount of fries. Wow, they sure give a lot, and with ketchup too. In Japan, you would probably get 10 fries (well, that's what happens at MOS burger, yes I counted).

My poor Dad, he ordered the cup of soup with his sandwich. The cup of soup was placed inside of this bigger bowl.

Then he was given this HUGE spoon. It looked almost as big as a serving spoon (well, the size of serving spoon we have at home).

Then when he asked for a smaller spoon, he got a demi-tasse or a spoon that we have in Japan for ice cream.

He had the hardest time drinking his soup with the teeny spoon and couldn't pick up the cup to drink from it because it was inside of the bigger bowl.

Well, we tried the place, but I don't think we'll be back.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yuck, I don't know why that place is still in business! Well, I assume it's still in business because it's in the busiest mall in the world so its bad food and greasy pastries sell more than enough to keep the owners solvent. By the way, did you know it's not really a Japanese bakery despite the Japanese name?

K and S said...

Yes, I know Anon. It is sad, I liked them better when they were a small bake shop.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

They're doing well because many people love their food, pastries, and martinis. We go often and have met many other regulars. I don't know where you folks are coming from! To each his own, I guess...but if you liked their bakery before - they are making many of the same exact items! Duh!

K and S said...

And you are entitled to your opinion too, Anon.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience at Panya. I really love their laksa, and my husband loves their crab sandwich. I think their fries are really good too. But, that being said, the service isn't always the best and we've had some bad experiences before.

K and S said...

My Dad enjoyed his crab sandwich too, Myra.

Take care.
Kat

Monique said...

Most of the time, it's the details that count. Too bad they weren't thoughtful enough to give your dad a better experience with his soup.

K and S said...

we couldn't believe they didn't have a spoon that was in-between Monique!

Hope you are enjoying your trip home!

Take care.
Kat