Wednesday, February 27, 2008

kabuki

There is an okazuya in Waimalu called Kabuki. An okazuya is like a deli but they serve dishes for your bento (boxed meal). Mostly all of the foods sold taste great hot or cold.

In Japan these days, okazuya is called sozaiya. But sozaiya in Japan are different, most of the foods there are pre-made.

Okazuya in Hawaii is something of an icon. Lots of places are run by people who have been in business for a really LONG time. So, if you love your Hawaii grandma's cooking, chances are you'll love the stuff they sell at an okazuya.

At Kabuki, the line starts early in the morning and they usually sell out before lunchtime. Even on a Sunday morning (when I went), there was a line (before and after me).

Since this was my first time going to an okazuya (yes, it was my very first time), I asked the lady in front of me how to order. She wasn't quite sure herself, and she got scolded by the ladies preparing her order...yipes. So, while I ordered, I smiled a lot and apologized to the ladies preparing the orders which saved me from getting the "stink eye" (evil eye)...whew.

On Sunday, I needed to buy lunch for my dad and myself, so I got 4 inari(cone sushi), 2 chorizo, 1 shoyu chicken, 1 butterfish, 2 hash and 1 serving of kinpira gobo...all for (US$10.52 tax included..totally cheap eats!). I thought the inari were like the cute things we have in Japan, but as the lady put the inari in the box, I was shocked...these inari were HUGE and only US$.95 each. (In Japan, I think you'd have to pay at least 300yen(US$3) for one this size.) Everything was delicious.

Most okazuya that I know serve their orders in these paper boxes (cake boxes). Even the older plate lunch places used to put their paper plated lunches into these boxes for take-out. Definitely more earth friendly than those styrofoam containers.

So, if you need something fast for a picnic, breakfast or lunch, check out an okazuya.

Kabuki
Waimalu Shopping Center
Aiea, Hawaii
Phone: 808.487.2424

14 comments:

OkiHwn said...

Only okazuya I've been to on this trip has been Fukuya in Moiliili. Post a pix later.

K and S said...

Never been there Nate, though I think the last time you were home you went to Fukuya too. Those pics looked really delicious!

Take care. When do you go back?
Kat

Anonymous said...

Yep, those Kabuki ladies are good at scolding and giving the stink eye, but the food is so good! One of my favorite breakfast places.

Winnie

K and S said...

Hi Winnie,
I enjoyed my first experience at Kabuki, even with the scolding :p

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

First time? Really - wow.

My favorite okazuya is Fukuya's, but either I'm getting way too many items or Fukuya's is way more expensive.

My husband really likes Nuuanu okazuya but they recently changed owners and he said it's not quite the same. Glad to hear you enjoyed Kabuki.

Tea said...

Isn't it funny how everything seems cheap after you've been living in Japan for awhile? I remember that.

Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

I love Waimalu Kabuki! I used to go there a lot back in the day. But now I'm rarely out of the house early enough on the weekend to get there before they run out of food. Now days we mostly go to Gulick (in Kalihi) because they don't run out until a little later...more like 1pm. :)

K and S said...

I hope I get to try Fukuya's, Myra :)

Definitely shocking, Tea! :)

I've never tried Gulick, Lori, will have to put it on my "to go to" list. :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Cool post Kat! I've been to Gulick before and liked it. Have a great week!

K and S said...

Thanks Laura, will have to check out Gulick :)

Take care.
Kat

Unknown said...

Hi Kat,

I never get tired of reading your posts! :)

You really made me curious about okazuyas now!
That really is super cheap eats, and everythings sounds and looks delicious!

Ciao! :)

Mari

K and S said...

Thanks Mari! I hope you get a chance to try okazuya sometime :)

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

Went to Fukuya again yesterday - ONO!

K and S said...

Hey Nate, you should try other places too :)

Take care.
Kat