Wednesday, May 14, 2008

hokkaido fair

The weather has been kind of funky. Last week, Hokkaido got up to 30C (86F), and Hokkaido usually NEVER gets this hot. Then this week, it has been raining off and on and has gotten...brrr, COLD and has been forecast to have hail in some places...hail! Someone broke the thermostat!

This past Saturday, Satoshi and I had to go to Umeda, so we stopped in to have some lunch. They were having a Hokkaido Fair at the Hankyu Department store, so we stopped for some seafood bowls.

This is what I chose, the kita no gokai tai ryo don--1781 yen (about US$17.81), this bowl had hotate(scallop), crab, uni (sea urchin), salmon, tobiko (flying fish roe), kazunoko (herring roe), amaebi (northern shrimp), ikura (salmon roe) & pickled ginger.

Satoshi chose the sanshokudon--2100 yen (about US$21), his had lots of ikura (salmon roe), salmon and uni (sea urchin). For the money, his looked a bit sparse, so I shared with him some of my crab.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoy these kinds of regional fairs. I always have to check the paper or watch KIKU to see which one is coming next to Shirokiya. The last one I've been to was also a Hokkaido fair. :)

OkiHwn said...

The don you had looks so good! Don't have that kind of stuff here.

Rowena said...

It's that global warming thing...it seems to affect the weather even more each year! I'll cry if it suddenly hails. Your seafood bowl sounded insanely awesome compared to the visuals of Satoshi's. All-around ono though!

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - Oh man does that look good! It seems like the weather has been kinda flaky everywhere.

K and S said...

When I lived in Hawaii, I loved the regional fairs at Shirokiya too, Lori :)

That's too bad, Nate, sometimes we have Okinawan fairs too!

I think if it gets any colder, I will cry too, Rowena, I put all my warm clothes away!

Too flaky for my liking, Kirkk!

Take care everyone :)
Kat