Monday, June 30, 2008

around the neighborhood

Friday I had an errand in Ikeda, it was a sunny day, actually it was super humid, but still sunny, so I decided to walk back from Ikeda to Ishibashi (where we live).

The walk usually takes me 30 minutes if I don't stop along the way.

But it was so hot that I stopped here and there along the way and 30 minutes turned into 2 hours.

One of the places that I stopped at was Suigetsu Park.

There were many dragonfly about. In Okinawa, I heard that when the dragonflies swarm about, a storm is approaching. I don't think there were too many to be a sign of a storm coming, but I was excited to capture some with my camera (I guess that is why it turned out to be 2 hours...)

Anyway, there was the akatombo (red dragonfly)(photo up top). It actually came close enough for me to get a good shot of it with my macro lens on.

These blue ones are called shiokaratombo. Actually I didn't realize this, but dragonflies are kinda huge! and have scary eyes.

And then I saw this one, a black and yellow one, I think it is called oniyanma.

The zakuro (pomegranate) have started to flower and begin to produce their fruit. I didn't know that the flower turns into a hard flower and then forms into the fruit.

And oniazami (thistle), you can see these huge thorny plants (weeds?) all over the place. Definitely bigger than the ones I've seen in Hawaii.

At night you can hear the frogs croaking in the rice fields. I think in a couple of weeks the semi(cicada) will start their chirping.

11 comments:

Jenster said...

Kat, I love these photos, especially the ones of the dragonflies. I never realized they came in so many pretty colors. And I'm amazed they stayed put while you took your photos. I don't have very steady hands so I'm sure I would have scared them away before getting a good shot.

K and S said...

I had seen the red ones around Japan, Jester, but was excited when I saw the blue ones and the yellow/black ones. I think in Hawaii we have small dragonflies, but they don't have much color to them. I was surprised how still they were for me to take their pictures :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a fun walk back home. It is also super humid and hot in Hawaii this weekend!

K and S said...

Thanks Lori, can you believe it will be humid for the next couple of months here?? UGH!

Take care and keep cool.
Kat

Tamakikat said...

Awesome dragonfly pics Kat.

Last week I saw a flower display which had some of those thistles. My friend and I were suprised b/c we think of thistles as weeds.

TK

P.S. Any tips on surviving the humidity with a clear head?

K and S said...

Thanks Tamakikat.

I also thought thistle were weeds, but it is amazing what the Japanese consider flowers.

I usually eat a lot of foods with vinegar in them, main thing is not to skip meals. Drink lots of water and try not to go out during the peak times (10:00-15:00). If you do, try to drink more water.

Hope this helps.
Kat

Rowena said...

Those dragonflies are so, so cool! Here, if there's an impending storm on the way, the swallows fly lower because they're catching all of the bugs that are being pushed down from the pressure system. I wish we had dragonflie like those though!

K and S said...

That is cool that the swallows fly lower, Rowena, next time there is a storm approaching, I'm going to check out the birds.

Take care.
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - You must have some awesome hypnotic powers. I can't ever get dragonlies to stop long enough for a photo! ;o)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Beautiful pictures--especially the Dragonflies, which I love. I have not seen so many color variations in one place before! It has been fairly warm and humid here--although nothing like Japan in the summer--you have my sympathies!

K and S said...

Thanks, I just stood really still for a long time and waited for them to come around, Kirkk :)

Thanks Deb!

Take care you two.
Kat