Monday, March 16, 2009

more recipes from ellie

So I've been trying various recipes from Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave", a recent trial was her Pasta Puttanesca, it was easy to put together.

I couldn't find arugula so I put in some sliced red leaf lettuce. Also, I roasted the garlic that needed to go into the sauce.

Her recipe uses whole wheat pasta, which I was happy to find at the gourmet supermarket. This was really flavorful and delicious.

On another night for dinner, I tried her Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic and White Beans. This was good and FAST! The thing that took the longest was roasting the tomatoes and garlic. I used whole wheat penne and dried basil since I didn't have fresh. The flavors are light and refreshing. The beans give it a little creaminess.

I served the pasta with some fresh peas, pancetta, onions and eringi sauteed in olive oil and pepper.

Now while I would like to say that all of Ellie's recipes are great, I found one that wasn't...the whole wheat pancakes. She says after putting the batter together, "the batter will be lumpy". Um, yeah and there will also be lumps of flour when the pancakes are cooked...blah. Sorry Ellie, but the next time I make this, there will be no lumps.

Okay, so far that one recipe was a bad one, but only because of the lumps. I'm happy with the majority of the ones I have tried. They are easy and best of all you know they are healthy. I'm still inspired to try more recipes from this book.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Delicious-looking dishes. I recently started eating whole wheat pasta. I wasn't surprised. It wasn't bad and I liked it.

Paz

P.S. I love your new banner.

Christine said...

Sounds like a great cookbook!

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - I've always thought that if you can get two or three useful recipes from a book it's worth it. Looks like this ine really is a "keeper".

Kathy YL Chan said...

all these photos you're posting have got me itching to start cooking more and eating out less! ^_^

K and S said...

So glad that you liked whole wheat pasta Paz, some people I know don't.

Thanks Christina, so far so good :)

Definitely is a keeper Kirkk :)

If you cook more at home, you can spend more $$ on shopping, Kathy :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Rowena said...

All I kept thinking when I read this post was...."It's so nice to see a foodie who isn't afraid of carbs!" For the past few days I've been busy baking and cooking nothing BUT carbs. Gotta create the energy to work out in the garden!

K and S said...

Rowena,
I know what you mean about creating energy, I gotta get moving too :) Luckily the weather looks like it will be good this week, so I will probably get my chance to get some walks in!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

More great looking dishes from Ellie--I love how much use you are getting out of the book. Hope the pancakes are the only "clunker!"

K and S said...

Thanks Deb :) I hope to try more recipes.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Because of your high praise for Penne with Roasted Tomatoes, Garlic and White Beans, my boyfriend and I decided to give it a try. It was great! However, we could not find any cannelini beans on our side of the island for the life of us. So, we decided to sub some Best Yet "Northern Beans" from Foodland instead. We liked it enough. Thanks for posting that recipe, since like many people, we've rarely done pasta without meat (Johnsonville Brats being our meat of choice).

K and S said...

I am so glad you liked the recipe Shortearl :)

Take care.
Kat