Sunday, March 22, 2009

salame del cioccolato di stile giapponese

In 2006, I had this delicious salame di cioccolato, which I had found on a foodie trip to Tokyo.

That same year while reading "La Dolce Vita" by Isabel Coe, I found a recipe for it. This one used butter and sounded similar to the one I had tried. It called for amaretti cookies, hazelnuts, dried fruits, and some mixed nuts. I put it on my list of things to try but never got around to it.

Last month, while reading a Japanese blog, I found a simpler recipe for it. This one only used chocolate and "stuff" for the filling.

Here is the recipe:
120 grams (about 4 ounces) of chocolate
120 grams (about 4 ounces) of nuts, cereal whatever you want to put into your salame.
about 50 grams (about 1.7 ounces ) of powdered sugar, you could also use cocoa powder

I looked around at the gourmet supermarket, but couldn't find amaretti cookies, so I decided I would try making it "Japanesey".

This is what I did.

I bought a package of my favorite chocolate covered kaki no tane to replace the amaretti cookies.

I chopped some candied ginger and some dried apricots.

I also chopped some marshmallows and took a handful of hazelnuts out of the freezer.

For the chocolate, I melted several different dark chocolates, but all about the same percentage of 60%.

After melting the chocolate, you are supposed to pour the chocolate into a plastic bag with the filling and meld things together.

This was really messy. I threw the bag into the freezer for 20 minutes and was able to get most of the chocolate off of the bag.

Then on parchment paper, I turned the chocolate out of the bag and formed it into a log. Then put it back into the freezer for 10 minutes.

The recipe says to roll it in powdered sugar, but I decided not to.

I sliced several pieces off with a serrated knife and had it for my afternoon tea.

Delicious. I can't wait to share this with Satoshi.

p.s. I got the title from Babelfish by inputting "Japanese style chocolate salami" and translating it from English to Italian, is it correct?

Hope you have a good week!

5 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Oh yum! I love all the flavors and ingredients you added. It looks and sounds delicious and whether it is correct or not the name sounds exotic and fancy! ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, I knew you would approve :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

To tell the truth, we haven't (or at least not that I can remember), tried the chocolate salame. Prolly 'cause when I see the word salame I immediately think cheese and slices of bread and wine.

You almost got the title right...it would be Salame di cioccolato alla giapponese. For a minute there I thought you had rolled the log into some crushed arare...oooh...now that sounds yum. I think Big Island Candies does chocolate-dipped arare.

Tonykaku said...

is it raining in your neighborhood of Minoo? i am here in the Nyodani area of Minoo and it has been raining for a couple of hours. if you ever see a guy walking and/or taking photos around Minoo, it may be me. please say "hello" or "aloha".

as always your photos and desserts look delicious.

K and S said...

Ha, your translation was the first title I came up by myself, Rowena, then I went to Babelfish. Should have trusted my instinct!

Yes it has been raining Tonykaku, if I see you walking around, I'll be sure to say "hi". The weather is supposed to get colder this week. Hope your trip/stay will be a good one!

Take care you two.
Kat