Thursday, March 19, 2009

spring and french

Tuesday was French class, actually it was the last day of our 3 month (6 class) session.

At the previous class in February, we decided to have lunch together. I was glad that I didn't have an English lesson right after French class (sometimes I do) and was able to join them for lunch.

We ate at Burdigala, a French restaurant in the Herbis Plaza. This place is pricey. I've eaten here with Satoshi for dinner pre-blog, and at their cafe for lunch.

Most of the students in my French class are elderly, over 60 and many of them have been to Europe many times.

These guys know how to party.

One of the students arranged the luncheon. At each placesetting there was a menu of what we were having for lunch.

They ordered wine (2 bottles for the 11 of us).

We had a warm zucchini soup with a proscuitto flan, linguine with broccoli and sakura ebi (sergia lucens) in a white wine sauce, choice of a main--I chose a roasted chicken which came with some vegetables (the other choice was a grilled fish dish), dessert was a citrus terrine with cassis sorbet and espresso. (sorry no photos)

Everything was delicious and I was really full. Talk about a leisurely lunch, we started a little after 12:00 and didn't finish until 15:00.

And then it came time to pay the bill...they had decided to treat our teacher, so it was 4350 yen (about US$43.50) per person!

I usually don't carry a lot of cash with me but was glad that I had enough money to pay my portion.

Though it was a bit expensive, it was nice that we had this luncheon. Most times after class everyone leaves and we don't really have a chance to chat.

So, everyday after Satoshi comes home from work, there is a game that Satoshi and I play...guess how much my lunch was or guess what I had for lunch....Satoshi was surprised at how much my lunch was.

Changing the subject, the flowers on my lanai are beginning to bloom. The honeybees seem to be happy as I've seen several in the lavender.

I took a walk yesterday and noticed that some sakura (cherry) trees have started to bloom.

The air is really bad though because of the kosa (yellow sand), a dust cloud from China.

My next round of French classes starts in 2 weeks, I can't wait!

12 comments:

Deb said...

How fun! Sounds like a great bunch of classmates:)

I am waiting to take a French class. . .so far the one I want has not worked out schedule-wise (always traveling) but I am going to look at the summer.

Are you planning a trip to France soon? Is it something you've always wanted to learn?

K and S said...

No trip to France soon :( Deb, but I've always been interested in languages! Hope you get a class that works with your schedule.

Take care.
Kat

Jenster said...

That was so sweet of all of you to treat your teacher! I'm sure he/she really appreciated it.

K and S said...

Thanks Jenster, I think she had a nice time too :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

What a way to end a class! That zucchini soup sounds particularly enticing.

K and S said...

Thanks Ari, I was so stuffed from lunch that I stir-fried some veggies and had a little of it for dinner.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

One of these days maybe you could do a short paragraph entirely in french (with english afterwards of course). I think it would be such an interesting contrast sinc you're blogging from Japan!

K and S said...

Rowena,
Gosh, that would probably be very embarrassing for me :0 But will keep it in mind.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love all the beautiful pictures. Lunch sounds delicous. Sometimes you need a splurge!

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, I keep telling myself that :)

Take care.
Kat

Jann said...

You need to watch out for all those older students, they can lead to down the wrong road ~hehehe....what fun this must be for you!This is something I would love to do sometime before my brain is completely mush!

K and S said...

I hope you will be able to soon Jann :)

Take care.
Kat