Thursday, April 30, 2009

odds & ends

It is the end of the month which means that I need to clear out some photos.

Taste Delight's Maple Leaf Cream Cookies. Maple syrup flavored cookies with cream centers. Pulling them apart reminded me of Oreos, I loved the maple syrup flavor. The cream center wasn't maple syrup flavored, if it were I think it would have been too much.

My Smoothie's Superfruit acai smoothie, a product from Sweden have these great design boxes, the box folds up after drinking.

According to the outside of the box, the smoothie has 19 acai berries, 1 apple, 1/2 banana, 14 raspberries, 52 blueberries and 9 blackberries all in this tiny box. I loved the taste but didn't like the pulp, almost made me gag, I'm such a wuss.

Sekai no Kitchen's Tiramisu Latte, was very almond extract-y (is that even grammatically correct?) and combines marscapone and espresso. I don't think I would drink this one again.

Lipton's extra shot Chai....this one was more on the clove side, not sure if I would get this one again.

Dean & Deluca's Bretagne Caramel Walnut Ice cream....delicious. Lots of walnuts in caramel ice cream.

Awhile back, I bought these hotate (scallops) which were grilled at Daiei, 150 yen (about US$1.50) a stick. I also picked up some tako (octopus) and then made a donburi (bowl) with rice, lettuce, the hotate and tako, a little kim chee and yuk-hoe sauce, a fast delicious dinner.

I was surprised at how small the filet-o-fish at McD's is...it was the size of my palm! This sandwich reminds me of my grandma.

When we were growing up we would catch The Bus with my grandparents to Ala Moana shopping center. We would eat lunch at McDonald's and my grandma would always eat the filet-o-fish.

I recently defrosted some homemade portuguese sausage and paired it with kim chee fried rice for a quick weekend lunch.The month flew by so fast!

13 comments:

Amanda Brasfield said...

Love the blog!

The Filet-O-Fish is bigger in the states :)

K and S said...

Thanks Amanda! I kinda thought it may be bigger in the states.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

You tried a lot of fun stuff. I want that ice cream! (Maybe with a maple cookie on top!) ;-)

K and S said...

ooh that sounds like a great combo, Deb :)

Take care.
Kat

tiptup said...

The maple cookie looks exactly like the ones from Trader Joes! I'll have to check Dean and Deluca for that ice cream. Hope it's not too costly.

K and S said...

I hope you can find both Tiptup :)

Take care.
Kat

2kamuela47 said...

Maple leaf cream cookies are my favorite. When my friend goes sking in Canada I usually get my fill of these wonderful things. BTW, that filet o fish from McD's really is small. I think the only thing I do eat at McD's these days are salads and the yogurt. Take care!

K and S said...

You are so lucky to get these cookies as gifts Laura :) I don't think our McD's has yogurt yet...

Take care.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

The hotate and tako from Daiei look so ono. Don't offer it here. Cheap too!

I eat the filet of fish here for breakfast sometimes. Costs ¥270. Bee eating a lot of 1/4-pounders. Good memory of home. Tastes exactly the same. ¥350 is same price back home.

Jenster said...

Kat, the grilled scallops look really delicious! Are they hot when you buy them?

I used to catch the bus to Ala Moana with my mom and grandma and eat at McDonald's, too. This was the days before Happy Meals, so I think I had a hamburger and moved up to Big Macs as I got older. I remember being so embarassed to be sitting in a booth with them because they would be conversing loudly in Cantonese. It sounded as if they were shouting, but they were actually just conversing! Funny the things that we remember, huh?

K and S said...

I think the filet-o-fish cost the same on mainland Japan Nate! Next time you go to McD, eat the teriyaki burger and see if your patty is the breakfast pork patty...sigh it is the pork patty here :(

I think they were hot when I bought them Jenster. I remember being able to look into Foodland from McDonald's (am I dating myself by saying that??) we used to eat the hamburger then tried working ourselves up the big mac too :)

Take care you two.
Kat

manju said...

Homemade portuguese sausage?... you're hard core! I've been dreaming about Rego's brand for months now... And kimchee fried rice... sounds like you're missing Hawaii! : P

K and S said...

you should try this Manju, the texture is more like pork sausage, but the flavor is portuguese sausage...I have some in the freezer for those "missing Hawaii" moments. :)

Take care.
Kat