Thursday, April 08, 2010

4th street bagel

Around the block from Boulangerie P & B is 4th Street Bagel.

This shop is a cafe but has a little corner where you can buy their bagels.

I popped in to pick up some of their bagels to try.

They didn't have many varieties, maybe it was the timing (lunch time)?

Anyway, I got their black sesame 140 yen (about US$1.40) and their plain 130 yen (about US$1.30).

Their bagels are uniform in size and "thinner" than P & B.

Taste-wise, they taste like most bagels I've eaten and because they are "thinner", the outside gets crisp while the inside stays chewy. (P & B's bagels are chewy but maybe too thick to get crisp on the outside??)

Price-wise, they are cheaper than P & B.

The next time I'm in the area, I'll definitely stop by to pick up more.

4th Street Bagel
2-6-2 Kitahorie
Nishi-ku, Osaka
Phone: 06.6536.2504
Open 8:00-18:30
Closed on Sundays

6 comments:

Avo said...

The contrast of crispness on the outside and chewiness on the outside is, in my opinion, what makes a good bagel.
Chances are that the bigger bagels weren't crisp because the oven wasn't hot enough, not because of their size; to some extent you can make perfect bagels of any size.

K and S said...

Thanks for the tip about the oven Alesa, very good to know.

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love a good bagel--can't seem to find them as good here as on the mainland. (However just a small downside to living in paradise!)
;-)

K and S said...

Debinhawaii,

I used to love stopping in at Hawaiian Bagel near Queen Street, too bad they lost their lease, though they do sell their bagels @ Costco. I loved the toasted bagel with pb & honey.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I did make the sesame seed bagels yesterday - will try to post about...soon. They didn't turn out a nice brown like in your image, but I think if I just add some extra sugar that would work. Thanks again for these inspirations (I made the soy cheese too but didn't pick up any strawberries yet).

K and S said...

can't wait to see your posts Rowena :)

Take care.
Kat