Monday, April 26, 2010

inspired by a book

Recently I was reading a novel, "Tough Cookie", the author often gives recipes of some of the delicious food described throughout the book.

In this particular book, a spicy dip made with velveeta cheese was mentioned.

Processed cheeses can be found here, but since I had some Fromage Roux, a creamy French washed rind cheese, and since I had some leftover taco filling from taco rice, I nuked the two with some salsa.

It was delicious on toasted bread! and probably would have been better if we had had some tortilla chips.

In the same book, there was a recipe for muffins with marmalade in them.

I remembered I had some marmalade in my freezer, so I added it to the muffin recipe I always use along with some chopped almonds.

I baked it a little longer than the original recipe stated because of the jam--I had sandwiched the jam between the batter.

I think I should have mixed the jam into the batter instead.

Still, I liked this, the marmalade originally wasn't too sweet, so it matched nicely with the muffin.

7 comments:

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - I think you're version is a step above..... Cheesewise....

jalna said...

The dip looks awesome, and your muffins too . . . microwave-sized oven, hah? Amaaaaazing!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Like I said Jalna, I can only bake 6 at one time :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

awesome post! this would have been perfect for the food blogging event, Novel Food, where we post recipe that have been inspired by books we've read. They had one event last week, but I wasn't able to participate. However I can see your post in their lineup. Perhaps, next time you'll participate with them? ;-)

I love to be inspired by books I read. These are two nice recipes that you came up with. Yum!

Paz

P.S. Enticing title -- "Tough Cookie"

K and S said...

Thanks Paz, this author's main character is a caterer which is why there are recipes here and there in the book :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Nothing says guilty pleasure like a cheesy dip and the muffins look great too. I'll have to look up that book--sounds like fun. ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Debinhawaii, hope you like the book :)

Take care.
Kat