Wednesday, April 28, 2010

tor road deli

The other week when Satoshi and I went to Kobe, I stopped in Le Dimanche to pick up a few items.

When I came out, I spotted Tor Road Deli.

I had heard of them, but didn't realize they were right across the street from Le Dimanche.

Satoshi and I popped in and picked up some bacon and bologna. Everything that we bought happened to be 30% off and came out to 977 yen (about US$9.77).

I was surprised that the bacon had many slices, usually you can only get about 4 or 5 from other brands for just about the same price.

The package of bacon had 10 slices and the bologna had 10 slices (I counted).

Though there wasn't enough fat to make the bacon crisp.

We had the bologna one morning as a bologna and cheese sandwich. They also gave us a packet of french mustard, it tasted like French's yellow mustard and went nicely with the bologna.

This deli was different from what I imagined a deli to be like; more meats and no salads. I think in French they call this type of deli a charcuterie.

They even have a sandwich room on the 2nd floor, which I think you can order and eat sandwiches there.

I'm glad we got to try some of their items. I will buy from them the next time I go to Hankyu department store or Kobe.

Tor Road Delicatessen
2-6-5 Kitanagasa-dori
Chuo, Kobe
Phone: 078.331.6535
Closed Wednesdays

11 comments:

Avo said...

Yeah, they do. Charcuteries are shops that specialize in shop-made processed meat (mostly pork) products. Sausages, andouillette, tripes, trotters, hams, rillettes, patés, terrines, tomates farcies, saucissons, rosette, etc... They usually also double as butcher stores and sell meat in which case they are called Boucherie-Charcuterie.

And wow counting deli goods by the slice... very representative though.
Is that bacon smoked? Or just salted?

Unknown said...

never did like japanese bacon...like you said, it never fried up quite the way i like it...

K and S said...

seems smoked Alesa.

am still looking for a good one here Grant.

Take care you two.
Kat

Unknown said...

Wow the other day I was just a Times contemplating on spending $4 on a pack of bacon that must have had a dozen slices and thought... "it's too expensive I'll buy from Costco"!

K and S said...

Rick, lucky you live Hawaii ;)

Take care.
Kat

Tracy - A Maui Mommy said...

my former host mom works there, and the last time my husband and i visited them in kobe, she treated me to a sandwich and milk tea from there. it's delicious! you should try it next time. :-)

K and S said...

Thanks TracePoo, I will :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Always fun to try new places. Can't wait to hear how the sandwich room is. ;-)

K and S said...

Debinhawaii, I hope I get a chance to soon :)

Take care.
Kat

Alexis Jacobs said...

Do you if they had turkey there? I am craving a turkey sandwich and as you know, can't be found here. I am close to there and will make an effort to stop in soon for turkey!

K and S said...

I'm not sure Alexis, if you can speak Japanese, you may want to call and ask for "shichimencho" or "tah-kee", I'd hate for you to go all the way over there and they not have any.

Also, I noticed that "subway" has a turkey breast on their menu, though I think this may be a processed version.

Hope you can find some turkey :)

Take care.
Kat