Wednesday, August 18, 2010

hawaii flora

As you walk through our neighborhood, you can see these plants hanging from trees called "Pele's hair".

Pele is the Hawaiian goddess of fire and dance. If you've seen portraits of Pele, you'll notice that her hair looks something like this plant.

This plant is also called Spanish moss and can be found in the Southern part of the mainland.

I think I've seen this in some movies involving swamps too.

Anyway, I think you just hang a piece of the moss onto a wire or string and it starts growing.

No dirt needed.

In Hawaii, some use it in making lei or as ornamental decorations.

Kinda cool, don't you think?

6 comments:

Jude said...

Oh, I remember these in leis! Wow, what a cool thing to recall, and I never made the connection to Southern flora!

K and S said...

I remember seeing these in a movie with swamp shots Jude and when I googled it talked about the Spanish moss :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I've only ever seen Pele's hair once over here...but it was selling for something like 20 euros! It wasn't even really big too, so I passed on buying, figuring that it wouldn't last our cold winters.

K and S said...

I think I read something like it needs humidity Rowena, good thing you didn't buy it!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love Pele's Hair--it looks so pretty hanging there. I should look for some to put on my lanai. ;-)

K and S said...

Debinhawaii,
I wonder if it grows by clippings, I can ask my mom for some for you :)

Take care.
Kat