Tuesday, March 22, 2011

staying indoors

Yesterday was a holiday, Shunbun no Hi (Vernal Equinox Day) but rain was in the forecast, so I planned ahead so we could stay indoors all day.

Lunch was something that Satoshi brought home from his business trip last week.

Sanuki udon by Kanaizumi. Sanuki udon is a popular dish in Takamatsu which is in Kagawa Prefecture which is on the island of Shikoku. The noodles are a little thicker and stiffer than most udon.

This particular set only gives you the udon and sauce, you need to put your own toppings.

We added some green onions, an umeboshi & some tororo konbu. Perfect for a rainy day.

We also had some Ichiroku Tart from Matsuyama which is in Ehime prefecture also on the island of Shikoku.

This isn't a tart at all, but a very soft cake made with eggs, sugar and flour (no oil or butter) with bits of yuzu (citron) in it and sweet bean paste in the middle.

Very light and perfect with some green tea.

And also some financiers from Patisserie Cafe Tanaka, in Nagoya.

Someone gave me these and one is flavored with Nishio matcha (green tea) and the other is flavored with hatcho miso (red soy bean paste), flavors of Nagoya.

The flavorings were both very light but delicious. (Thank you!)

And for dinner we had "meat"loaf. There was actually more veggies than meat and I also added some shiso leaves.

Instead of eating it with ketchup, we topped it with some Japanese tartar sauce.

Besides eating, we had several naps and caught up on videos that we hadn't watched.

The cold weather is supposed to return this week, I wonder when Spring is coming...

14 comments:

Yvonne said...

You don't know me, but I follow your blog regularly. I wanted to tell you how glad I am that you and your loved ones are ok. It's funny how reading about what a person cooks and eats (among other things)let's you feel a connction to that person.
Thank you for continuing to post.

jalna said...

Eating, napping, watching videos . . . my kind of day.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Well if you had to be indoors it looks like you ate well and had a relaxing day at least. ;-) Hope some nicer spring weather arrives soon.

Rowena said...

We had to stay indoors only once during this most recent 4-day weekend but we were already "climbing the walls". I don't have just ants in my pants, I have jumping beetles.

K and S said...

Thanks for reading our blog Yvonne :)

My kind of day too Jalna, as long as it isn't for more than a day :)

I hope Spring comes soon Deb in Hawaii!

Glad it was only 1 of the 4 days Rowena, one day indoors is definitely enough for me :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

KirkK said...

Hi Kat - It's good that you had a chance to relax! I dunno what's up with the weather this year.... it's been see-sawing like crazy.

Japan Australia said...

A day of luxury always sounds good to me. The Udon looks delicious and is one of my favourite noodles, especially the thicker ones.

Japan Australia

OkiHwn said...

That's one interesting looking meatloaf!

K and S said...

I think the weather all over is kinda see-sawing Kirk :0

Thanks J-A :)

Plenny veggies that's why Nate :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

Parisbreakfasts said...

So many interesting combinations of flavors Kat...
And I love the fact that some if not all are regional.
merci
carolg

K and S said...

Thanks Carol :) interesting flavors indeed.

Take care.
kat

manju said...

Another delicious foodie weekend, even though you stayed home! Very intrigued by the miso cake... what a great idea...

K said...

Yum, everything looks delicious! Love the different financier flavors, sounds great.

K and S said...

The flavor was really light Manju, which was good because miso tends to be salty.

Thanks K, it was different but good :)

Take care you two.
Kat