Tuesday, May 10, 2011

58

Remember how I mentioned that the Japanese like to use numbers to make up words?

Well, the other day was 5.8 which is go-ya...bittermelon day!

When I saw the huge pile of goya at the market, I didn't put the two together.

Even the price had a 5 & 8 in it...158 yen (about US$1.58)

In fact, the half can of SPAM was more expensive about double the price of the goya!

This goya was huge! but the insides were really ripe. The coating around the seeds were red.

I used part for goya champuru and the other part for stuffed bittermelon...rain is in the forecast for the next couple of days, I think Summer is here!

10 comments:

Parisbreakfasts said...

I thought at first it was a big Shiso leaf!
How funny about the 58 thing..
So many double meanings in Japan.

jalna said...

Wow, dat's one BEEG looking goya!

Japan Australia said...

Goya can be quite bitter, but I don't mind a bit of goya champuru with a good beer.

Japan Australia

K and S said...

so true PB!

bambucha Jalna :)

definitely J-A!

Take care everyone.
Kat

J.Owen said...

Hello Kat! First time commenter and not so long ago reader. I love reading your blog. The tidbits you post are so charming and really brighten up my day! Thanks for putting in the effort to update your blog. I really appreciate it! :D

-Jean

Rowena said...

*sniff* I like. Sadly the goya seeds that you sent me did not sprout (it's been sitting in dirt for over a month). I'll wait at least until the end of the month though...maybe it needs super hot weather to wake up.

K and S said...

aw thank you Jean!

mine didn't sprout either Rowena, hoping warmer weather will help...I also threw in seeds from this bambucha goya, so hopefully "something" will take!

Take care you two.
Kat

OkiHwn said...

How's the cilantro doing?

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Haha another number thing. I didn't even think of Goya as 5-8. Haha. Do you really eat a lot of SPAM growing up? It's Hawaiian food, right? I probably had it once or twice growing up. Maybe we don't eat enough so the price is very high...

K and S said...

Cilantro doing fine Nate :) I only planted a little.

We ate quite a bit of SPAM growing up Nami.

Take care you two.
Kat