Tuesday, May 31, 2011

made in japan

I recently bought some teas made in Kitsuki.

Kitsuki is a city in Oita prefecture, which is in Kyushu. The tea was featured on television recently and I was interested in trying them.

They had two black teas. I say "black" but the chinese characters for black tea uses the character for "red". Which is probably why the other time I bought that "red" tea I got confused...

Anyway, I bought a package of their rose tea & a package of their sakura (cherry blossom) tea...both are flavored, very very lightly.

No perfuminess, which is good, but no hint of what it is supposed to be flavored as, which is not so good.

It is a good black tea, you just need to "jazz it up" with a splash of milk or something.

And these yokai manju came from Satoshi on a recent business trip.

He didn't actually go to Sakaiminato, where these yokai (monster) characters are popular. By the way, these characters were created by Shigeru Mizuki.

He brought home a box of 12, there were 3 different fillings...sweet bean, custard, chocolate.

Satoshi's favorite was sweet bean, while mine was custard.

It's the last day of May but the weather is still a bit chilly...even though we've started our rainy season. Because it is cool, it isn't humid, so I won't grumble.

12 comments:

jalna said...

Wow. I just read up in Wikipedia on Shigeru Mizuki and all I can say is, "Wow".

tofugirl said...

Those manju are so cute!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Fun to try the local teas at least. ;-) I love the yokai manju--so cute!

Japan Australia said...

Good to try some different teas and the flavours sound good especially the sakura one.

Japan Australia

Kirk said...

Hi Kat - I made the same mistake with regards to "red" tea myself.... the Missus got a good laugh out of that one!

K and S said...

cool yeah Jalna?? :)

thanks tofugirl :)

now I know Deb in Hawaii :)

Definitely J-A!

she would laugh at me too then Kirk :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

Patzie said...

I would love to have manju and tea - heheh :)

K and S said...

Patzie, you are welcome to come for tea & manju :)

Take care.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

The omanju looks so yummy. I'm always weak for anko. I haven't had it for a while...

K and S said...

I hope you get some anko soon, Nami :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

Haha, I saw the treats and immediately thought "Geh-geh-geh-geh-no-gehhhh" :o)

K and S said...

That is funny K!

Take care.
Kat