Sunday, May 15, 2011

rosy foodie saturday in osaka

Yesterday, Satoshi had his German class in the afternoon, so before that, we bought some bento (boxed lunch) and headed to Utsubo Park.

Satoshi had a boxed lunch of assorted kushikatsu (fried items on sticks), as well as some yakiudon.

I had bibimba. This even came with a soft boiled egg, which you cracked and put onto the bibimba yourself.

It was quite windy, so we had to shield our food from the flying debris every so often, but all in all it was a nice lunch.

After lunch we walked around Utsubo Park to see their roses.

They were having a Rose Festa, so they had some booths as well as some entertainment going on.

It was nice to see a lot of people out and about.

From Utsubo Park, we then walked toward Kitahama because I wanted to check out the roses at Nakanoshima.

By then, Satoshi had to go to class, so he took the subway back towards Umeda.

I stopped into a little cafe along the Tosabori River called Moto Coffee.

The cafe is very small and they have a nice little terrace out along the river.

Their muffin and iced cafe latte were a bit pricey though...920 yen (about US$9.20).

The muffin was more like a dry scone with nuts, orange peel and chocolate chips in it. I liked that they didn't skimp on the "goodies" in the muffin.

And even though it was dry, it went nicely with the iced cafe latte.

After sitting and recharging a bit, I walked across the street to the Nakanoshima Park.

Their roses were in bloom and there were many people.

The weather was nice and sunny so everyone was sitting and eating their lunch and chatting with friends.

After Satoshi's class, we met up for dinner and decided to have sushi at GyoGyo.

I ordered the Ladies set and had some California roll, which you don't see too much of in Japan. The set also came with miso soup & chawan mushi (savory custard)....1260 yen (about US$12.60)

Satoshi ordered a set with salmon sushi in various forms and also added tempura to his order. His set also came with miso soup & chawan mushi...1260 yen (about US$12.60)

It was a beautiful day. Lots of walking, eating and bonding with nature.

Moto Coffee
2-1-1 Kitahama, Kitahama Lion Building
Chuo, Osaka
Phone: 06.4706.3788
Closed Sundays & Holidays
Hours: 12:00-19:00

13 comments:

Japan Australia said...

Good to see the roses in bloom. Hopefully a sign of the warmer weather!!

Japan Australia

Rowena said...

I like how you go from picnic lunch (that you picked up) to meeting up for dinner after having parted for a short while. What time you guys usually eat dinner anyway? Typically in Italy nobody does dinner until 7:00-7:30pm (even later when you travel further south in Italy). We're never able to go from lunch to dinner without going home first because the time in between in is too long. Dinner out for us is around 8-8:30pm! (earlier if we stay home to eat)

K and S said...

Thanks J-A I think the weather is supposed to go up to 28C (82F) this week, it's been quite cool at night here.

Whenever Satoshi goes to class, we end up eating at 5-ish...but usually eat around 6-ish, Rowena. I think we talked about dinnertime on your blog post once before :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Kim said...

I think that's the first time I've seen you eat a roll of any kind. Here in the states, fancy sushi rolls with a lot of different ingredients and sauces are really popular. Almost seems like nigiri comes in second place on the menu. I never thought anything of it until a Japanese Twitter friend asked if that's the only thing I ate. Then I realized that rolls could be an American invention...like Taco Bell isn't real Mexican food. Have I been eating fast food sushi all these years? Ha!!

K and S said...

We have rolls called salad maki and rolls with fried shrimp in them, but you are right Pocky, they probably are inventions of America :) I don't think you've been eating fast food sushi just fusion sushi :)

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

I loved this day!

OkiHwn said...

Don't want to be picky but it is "bibimbap"

K and S said...

It was fun Jalna :)

Thanks Nate, I always use the Japanese name for this dish :p

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

Looks like a great day full of flowers and good food. ;-)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Beautiful roses! Sorry my comment is always late. :-( I'm trying to catch up on my reading. :-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb in Hawaii! Gotta get out and about before the heat & humidity start up!

Thanks Nami, I'm glad you still try to read my posts :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

The roses look v. pretty!

K and S said...

I love that they have so many varieties K!

Take care.
Kat