Sunday, May 01, 2011

shobei

Awhile back I received these namafu manju from a lady in my French class.

Namafu is wheat starch. The outside of these sweets are made with the wheat starch, it sort of tasted like tofu (soy bean curd).

They are wrapped in fresh bamboo leaves called sasa.

When you unwrap them they are quite wet, even a little slippery.

The insides are filled with different creams like chocolate, cinnamon, etc.

She gave us 5 different flavors and this particular one was sakura (cherry blossom)...delicious! (Thank you!)

Shobei
1-3-1 Higashi Noda-machi
Miyakojima, Osaka
Phone: 06.6351.1255
Closed Sundays & Holidays

9 comments:

Dennis K. said...

Tasty and Pretty!

K and S said...

Thanks Dennis, without the cream filling it really would taste like an airy tofu.

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Do we have them here in Hawaii, Kat? It doesn't even sound familiar to me.

Japan Australia said...

They look quite good and very pretty. The sakura (cherry blossom)flavour must be a hit in Spring!!

Japan Australia

K and S said...

I don't think so Jalna, it was my first time eating this, different but good!

Thanks J-A, sakura is definitely a popular flavor during Spring!

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

I was thinking that wheat starch is another way of saying wheat gluten but something tells me I'm wrong. These look so cool to make (pita!), and I just remembered the bamboo leaves at a place in Milan so, hmmmmm..... purty purty!

K and S said...

I looked online Rowena and wheat starch is similar to cornstarch and used to thicken soups...might be (pita) to make these but guess you could try steaming mochi in your bamboo leaves :)

Take care.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Did you like Namafu? I am not a big fan. But now I'm much older, I'd like to give it another try. :-)

K and S said...

It was good Nami, hope you give it another try :)

Take care.
Kat