Thursday, September 22, 2011

osaka-amsterdam-paris

From Osaka, Amsterdam was about 11 to 12 hours away.

Our flight from Osaka to Amsterdam had to be re-routed with heavy air traffic over Beijing, so I think we travelled the width of Russia...which is HUGE.

On flights this long, they fed us many many times...with lots of snacks and stuff in between too, Satoshi even had a cup of instant noodles.

Not only that but they had lots of things to watch on board too. I had seen a lot of the movies when I travelled back from Hawaii, but KLM showed many television shows too. I watched an episode of the new "Hawaii Five-O", "El Bulli (documentary)", and "Jamie's Food Escapes (Greece)".

From Amsterdam, Paris was only about 45 minutes...still, KLM gave us snacks and soft drinks.

We arrived in Paris at about 18:00 and it was drizzly, still we were able to see the tip of the Eiffel Tower from our hotel.

Around the corner from our hotel was Carrefour City, a mini-market which sold fresh fruits, veggies, prepared foods and drinks.

With all the eating we did on board, I wasn't too hungry, but apparently Satoshi was.

If you click on the photo, you can see all the descriptions of the foods we had.

I really liked the yaourt (yogurt) drink and the salad, was really big and had a lot of different "goodies" inside.

Satoshi also spotted a pastry shop, Cannelle, across of Carrefour, so we went to check it out.

He chose an ananas (pineapple) religieuse (two cream puffs filled with a pineapple filling) and I chose a caramel eclair. Both of these were very sweet and the cream puff outsides a little burnt.

It was a long day and we had to get up bright and early for a busy day of sight-seeing but I was excited to actually be in Paris.

Ibis Paris Berthier Porte de Clichy
163 Avenue de Clichy 75017 Paris
Phone: 01.40.25.20.00

Cannelle
176 Avenue de Clichy 75017 Paris
Phone: 01.42.29.98.92
Closed for lunch

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far, so good (but what a draining flight that must have been). From your previous posts, I believe you have been studying French for at least 3 years, perhaps? I'm curious how speaking French went for you.

K and S said...

I still have so much to learn Anon, but knowing what I did and using English and hand gestures, we were able to eat and get around pretty well I thought.

Take care.
Kat

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Kat!!! Long time no see! How are you? Looks like you have been traveling in Europe! Niiiicee! I can't wait to look at your photos!

Rowena said...

Tell Satoshi that I virtually "High 5'd" him because he was still hungry. Yikes...flying over something as big as Russia. Did KLM offer free vodka?

Parisbreakfasts said...

I LOVE that Michel yogurt drink too!!
and I LOVE the little boxed salads too I have to admit :(
So glad to hear you're in Paris Kat!!
BRAVO!
Will you go to Junkado, the Japanese book store in Pyramid?
They have the BEST books on Paris!
And rue St. Annes to eat on Friday night for Japanese food - really a fun scene..
I wish I knew Montmartre better but don't miss Berko and La Petit Mitrons patisserie on rue Lepic.
And I guess Amelie's cafe...ahem

Parisbreakfasts said...

Oh I'm too late to offer suggestions :(
je suis desolee :)

Japan Australia said...

You must have had some great food on the trip :)

What did you think of the new Hawaii Five-O?

Japan Australia

K and S said...

thanks Nami, I hope you enjoy these posts :)

no free vodka Rowena, but unlimited alcohol beverages for sure :)

desolee indeed Carol, but I appreciate all your suggestions :)

I like the new series J-A, just because of all the glimpses of Hawaii :)

Take care everyone.
Kat

KirkK said...

How exciting Kat! I look forwrd to reading about all your adventures!

K said...

I'm so glad they made sure to feed you during that flight!

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk, I hope I don't disappoint!

I'm glad they did too K!

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

It sounds like quite a long flight. I am a little behind in my blog reading this week but I am looking forward to reading your trip posts. ;-)

K and S said...

Thanks Deb, hope you enjoy them :)

Take care.
Kat

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

What a great adventure! How wonderful that you have mastered enough French to get along so well :)

K and S said...

I wouldn't say "mastered" Lizzy, there was a lot of gesturing and facial expressions involved too :)

Take care.
Kat