Saturday, December 31, 2011

10 photos

I started doing this back in 2008 as a kind of meme...but I think now, it is a nice way to look back at some of my firsts in the kitchen for the year...

My first "smooth" smoothie, I still haven't been brave to divert from the strawberry-banana combo...

My very first time making manapua (char siu bao).

Next I want to try making char siu from scratch...

Having some "me" time, I threw together these "gourmet dogs".

I tried making my own yuzu marmalade, this is really delicious on plain yogurt.

It was my first time making summer rolls and nuoc cham.

I was a little intimidated with the rice wrappers but now know they are pretty easy to use.

I turned a Nagano favorite into a kind of fried rice...Kimu-Taku Yakimeshi.

After making my own Ginger Syrup, I used part of it for this dish using beef and the syrup...Shigure-ni.

It was my first time trying sin choi and my first time cooking it...I'll definitely be making this more often.

Re-creating a favorite dish turned out to be really close to the real deal...Eringi Ragout...I also learned that adding pancetta to it makes it even better.

Of all the kinpira recipes on this blog, this one is different because it adds nuts, my favorite version is using almonds.

What a year 2011 has been! Many natural disasters all over the world, many losses of life too.

Thank you for reading my blog, I really appreciate your comments and friendships.

May 2012 be a prosperous, healthy and happy year for you!

11 comments:

Abigail (aka Mamatouille) said...

Akemashite omedetou gozaimasu!

jalna said...

Great post Kat! Happy New Year!

Dennis K. said...

"Kansha" to you both too. Thank you always for sharing.

Kim said...

Gimme one of those Gourmet Japan dogs!!!

Japan Australia said...

Hope 2012 will be a much better year :)

Japan Australia

Deb in Hawaii said...

You had so delicious food come out of your kitchen this year. Here's to a happy and healthy 2012 for everyone. ;-)

K and S said...

Have a great 2012, Abigail!

Have a great 2012, Jalna!

Thank you to you too, Dennis!

You got it Kim :)

For you too J-A!

Thanks Deb, all the best to you too!

Take care everyone!
Kat

K said...

Great roundup!

K and S said...

Thanks K!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

The news over here ran a series of images from 2011 and all I can say is that it was one very emotional year. I'm kinda on pins and needles for 2012 what with the economic situation in europe.

K and S said...

Rowena, I noticed many stories on Europe's economic situation, everything is so "domino-effect" and very delicate. Hopefully everyone's economy can make a comeback this year!

Take care.
Kat