Sunday, February 19, 2012

jizoya

I think I've told you that my host-brother's wife is a foodie. I'm so glad "all of my family members" are foodies...she gave us this loaf of bread on Friday made by a shop in her neighborhood called Jizoya.

They don't use egg because many children in Japan have allergies to eggs. They do use flour, heavy cream, butter, sugar, salt and water.

The results...a very light almost airy bread.

The texture is like a brioche, rich and delicious. It was delicious toasted with a slather of butter. (Thank you!)

Jizoya
3-2-12 Yuminoki-cho
Nada, Kobe
Phone: 078.841.6230
Open from 11:00 until sold out
Closed Sundays

p.s. you may have noticed a "prove you are not a robot" thingy when you comment, at first I had turned it off because I moderate (look over) the comments before it is published. Then, I noticed many "anonymous" comments started spamming, so I put it back AND will no longer allow "Anonymous" comments, please sign in with an appropriate ID...Thanks in advance for understanding.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

That bread looks good.

Dennis K. said...

Looks fantastic!

K and S said...

Japanese bread tends to be very light, not like the white breads in the US, Rick.

It was Dennis :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Jenster said...

Look delicious, and it's very interesting to note how common egg allergies are in Japan. Has anyone figured out a reason for that? I would have thought dairy allergies would be more common, as many Asians (including my sister) are lacto-intolerant.

K and S said...

not sure what causes allergies here Jenster, but I know eczema (sp?) is pretty common here too.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

I'm looking at that and thinking french toast, but the lightest FT ever! Oh, and about the new spam filter...it irks me that they don't even give you an option. I turned mine off 'cause I find it annoying (too much trouble!) so blogger/blogspot peeps could you just please dumb it down to the original?

K and S said...

I have a couple more slices, so I think I will make french toast with it Rowena :) I saw that robot thingy on other blogs thinking mine hadn't changed....I'll think about changing it back in a couple of days.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Oh I don't think blogspot is going to change anything but I just wanted to put in my own 2 cents. It's the fact of not having an option to choose between the old one-word spam filter and this new captcha that is a p.i.t.a. I have my blog on the original blog version and don't have to update if I don't want to, so they should do the same for spam filters.

K and S said...

I think they should at least put it on their Blogger Buzz section, so all of know about it Rowena.

Take care.
Kat

K said...

No eggs, interesting! Looks delicious.

K and S said...

the bread is so soft K :)

Take care.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love how light that bread looks. It's fun to have foodie friends and family. ;-)

K and S said...

so true Deb :)

Take care.
Kat