Friday, June 08, 2012

meatless gyu suki ni

"Gyu suki ni" from what I can find on the internet is a dish that tastes similar to sukiyaki, but instead of being eaten from a hot pot, the ingredients are simmered in the sweet-salty sauce and served with rice.

If you know some Japanese, you'll know that "gyu" means beef, so the main ingredient should be that, but during the week, we try to eat meatless dinners, so I tried this recipe, minus the meat.

Meatless Gyu Suki Ni : 4 servings

1 package maitake (hen of wood), pulled apart
1 package eringi, sliced
1/4 orange bell pepper, diced
1/4 onion, sliced thin
1 block of konnyaku (devil's tongue jelly), the size of your palm, cubed
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
thinly sliced green onions

Sauce: adapted from NHK "Kyo no ryori"
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tablespoon mirin (sweet rice wine)
1 tablespoon sugar

Saute your veggies in the olive oil, when the onions become a little transparent, add the sauce.
Simmer in the sauce for at least 5 minutes.

Serve over rice, sprinkle with some green onions.

NOTES: the konnyaku and mushrooms have enough texture so that you don't miss the meat. I'm making this again.

Since I used only 2 servings of the 4, with the leftovers, I added some broccoli, a scrambled egg and an 85 gram piece of tofu when I heated the leftovers up for our dinner yesterday.

I again served this over rice....yum!

It's Friday here, hope you have a great weekend!


4 comments:

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hmm oishisou! I wish my husband would do meat-less dinner sometimes, but when I tried, he said "where's meat?" Sometimes my kids can be easy eater than my husband. =)

K and S said...

Thanks Nami, I am lucky because Satoshi will eat whatever I serve him :)

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Total vegan dish! I hope eringi will show up in the supermarket soon. Absolutely love that mushroom!

K and S said...

loving how we can get shrooms even during the summer, Rowena, am totally into maitake (hen of wood) too now

Take care.
Kat