Sunday, August 26, 2012

driver license

plumeria (2) As of March 2012, the way we renew our drivers licenses in Hawaii was changed. (I am pretty sure this is for all islands, but check with your island's DMV to be sure)

You now need to show "legal presence". This means you have to show that you belong in the U.S., belong in Hawaii in order to get a license to drive.

What a P.I.T.A. I mean, I've been driving since I was 15...15! and now I need to show legal presence...WT?!

Many women have stood in line (for many hours) to renew only to be turned away. Reason? they got married, changed their name and needed to show proof of that change...a.k.a. marriage certificate.

My parents and I went to the Satellite City Hall in Pearlridge the other day to renew, from filling out the application to standing in line, it took us about 30 minutes total.

The types of I.D. we showed were our Social Security card & a valid passport.

I was shocked that the new fee is US$40 for an 8 year license (25-71 years of age). I think previously it was US$20 for 6 years?!

Plus, they don't accept charge or debit cards, only cash or check...

Satoshi was bummed because he has had a Social Security card and Hawaii drivers license (from the years he worked in Hawaii), but no other valid paperwork for his "legal presence"...boo!

At least I passed without a restriction (no need to have glasses on while driving) and I won't have to renew for another 8 years...whoo!

If you'd like more info, check out this link: http://www1.honolulu.gov/csd/vehicle/dlicense.htm".

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand that the new rules were mandated by the U.S Homeland Security . Its a national course of action due to our state of security. ie having to show your marriage license to show proof of your name change.

Measures needed to protect our security as well as everyone elses.
worth making the extra cost and effort hopefully.

K and S said...

Hopefully these measures will be worth it all Anon.

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

Good for you Kat. I'm screwed on the license thing as mine already expired. I wonder if this new driver's license rule applies to ALL states? I better invest in some good walking shoes, but then whenever I went back to the islands I always hated to drive and walked anyway.

blukats said...

Oregon it's the same way. I can understand for first time drivers but if a person has a drivers license already from a state in the US, it's a bit overkill. Why need all the extra when one already has a valid ID that has been checked and rechecked?

The thing is it doesn't make a difference to those putting out illegal IDs. When I was in California there were DMV workers who were doing that on the side. So we can be honest and jump through hoops and yet they haven't made a dent in all the fake ones.

K and S said...

I think it is the whole US, Rowena...

I agree with you blukats, if they have our documents on file, why should we need to go through the same procedure every time we renew.

Take care you two.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Wow!

K and S said...

how is it done in NY, Paz?!

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Kat: I'm not exactly sure what is happening in NY with license renewal. Perhaps they've become stricter, too. Since I don't drive, I have a non-driver's i.d. I think I may have to renew it this year. I do know that they are very expensive now.

K and S said...

that is very interesting Paz! I had no idea you would need a non-driver's ID :) Thanks for sharing.

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Kat: Well, you don't need a non driver's i.d. but you do need an official i.d., like a driver's license (or passport). Since the majority of New Yorkers don't drive, we can't get a driver's license, but we can get a non driver's i.d., which is just as official as the driver's license. I'm sure it is done in all the other states, too. Just gotta ask about it. However, if you have a driver's license, they won't give you a non driver's i.d. :-)

K and S said...

ah okay, Paz, yes we have State IDs here too :)

Take care.
Kat

Anonymous said...

I went to renew and thought I was all set having my birth certificate and SS card with me. I was one of those married women that was tripped up by a lack of marriage certificate. When I asked if I needed to have it even though I was divorced, the clerk responded that I would also need to present the divorce certificate when I returned. I got the feeling that they want anything they can get their hands on and it seemed very instrusive. I have my usual concerns about who has access to all of this info and how safe it is. I agree with blukats, it does seem like overkill.

Winnie

K and S said...

Oh my gosh, Winnie that sounds like a really awful experience. It does sound like overkill.

Take care.
Kat