Tuesday, February 26, 2013

naminori johnny

This caught my eye at the market recently.

Chocolate tofu.

Naminori Johnny means wave riding Johnny, a brand of tofu by Sanwatousuian. Which is probably why the container looks like a surfboard.

The package says it is a "dessert tofu". In Hawaii, we have a pie that uses tofu, gelatin and whipped cream, so I thought it would taste similar.

It was more greyish than brownish.

I thought it could've been more chocolatey. Satoshi thought it was quite sweet.

By the way, they also have strawberry, cream cheese & pumpkin flavors...we agreed it was a bit too funky for us, but it was interesting to try.

8 comments:

Dennis K. said...

This looks like an Otokomae brand? They used to carry Otokomae Tofu in the Mitsuwa's here but haven't seen them in a while. I liked them a lot but they were on the high side not surprising, especially considering the added shipping cost.

K said...

I wonder if this is sort of like the sweet Chinese dessert tofu? Sounds interesting!

K and S said...

no this isn't the Otokomae brand, Dennis, I heard they had same namings and brands as Otokomae.

it may be similar, K :)

Take care you two.
Kat

genkitummy said...

Chocolate tofu sounds interesting, but that greyish color does not look very appealing.

Rowena said...

I wonder if it would be good in a milkshake? It seems soft enough to blend easily.

K and S said...

yeah greyish definitely not appetizing, Genki :)

tastes more like tofu though, Rowena, so you would have to add something sweet, I think :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Deb in Hawaii said...

I make a chocolate tofu pudding sometimes--I wonder if it would make a good base?

K and S said...

I think it may make a nice base for your pudding, Deb!

Take care.
Kat