Sunday, February 03, 2013

toumyo

There is a food item that is trending here called Toumyo which translates to snow pea shoots.

Apparently this is a high grade ingredient in Chinese cuisine.

I recently picked up a packet to try it was 98 yen for a package.

I snipped some off, rinsed it...

and put it into some kinpira, because the package said it was good in a stir-fry.

After cooking all the other veggies, I added the shoots at the end to keep some of its crispness.

It was delicious.

And then we had the rest in sandwiches...pastrami, egg salad and toumyo.

The crunchiness of the shoots was nice.

On the package it says to put the roots into some water and in about 10 days it should sprout up again.

So that is what I did, hope we'll be able to eat this again.

p.s. today is Setsubun, we'll be eating ehomaki for dinner. By the way, this year's lucky direction is nan-nan-to (south-south east).

10 comments:

Dennis K. said...

Very cool! I've seen snow pea shoots but more as a garnish. That sandwich looks great!

K and S said...

very cool indeed, Dennis :) I hear they are at Nijiya Market, maybe near you too?!

Take care.
Kat

jalna said...

Oooh, I'll look for them the next time I go to Nijiya. Thanks for the tip!

K and S said...

I hope you can find it Jalna :)

Take care.
kat

KirkK said...

Hey Kat - That's a standard item in Chinese cuisine....funny. When I was laerning how to use my wok stove I practiced on Moyashi and Pea Shoots.

K and S said...

Kirk, it's standard?! cool!

Take care.
Kat

Rowena said...

If those shoots resprout then that is double your money shopping. Great idea.

K and S said...

I hope it re-sprouts, Rowena :) my goya on the other hand doesn't look like it is gonna do anything...

Take care.
Kat

K said...

I like that they provide instructions for regrowth!

K and S said...

indeed K :)

Take care.
Kat