Sunday, November 10, 2013

shima no megumi

When I came back to Japan, I saw a small bunch of bananas called "banapple" because the banana was supposed to taste like an apple.

Since I saw this "banapple" at the department store, you can imagine how much they wanted for this.

This got me thinking that apple bananas have got to be out there somewhere in Japan.

You should know that in Hawaii, the apple banana can be found in all of our markets.

In my family, it is the most popular. It is slightly sweet, a little tart, firm and lasts way longer than the "normal" banana.

So, the other day at the supermarket I was checking out the bananas...and came upon this...

 "Shima no megumi" means bounty of the island...since it looked the senorita banana, which we tried previously, I debated about buying the shima no megumi...

I'm glad I did though because this variety is very very close to the apple bananas we get in Hawaii.

Our weather is all funky...sunny one day, rainy the next then super freeze-a the next.

I think we're gonna skip over autumn and go straight into winter, which is kinda sad because I really like autumn...how's the weather where you are?

7 comments:

Honolulu Aunty said...

Our weather in Honolulu has been rainy rainy these last 2 days, after being nice and sunny earlier. We don't have autumn, we don't really have winter - but it does get to be chilly when we hit 60°s.
We had a rather nice summer, not too many of those really hot sticky days.
Yesterday we harvested a bunch of apple bananas from our neighbor's backyard. Very delicious!
Mahalo for sharing,
Aunty

kb said...

Here in Washington we have a new apple in the market called a banana apple. I think it refers to the yellow color, because the flavor is not much like a banana. ~Kris

K and S said...

so awesome you can get apple bananas from your neighbor, HNL Aunty!

that is interesting KB!

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

At the supermarket I've seen tiny bananas that look like what I've always known them as "chinese" bananas but man are they expensive!

This week is predicted to be sunny so crossing fingers that it extends to the weekend when we go to check out truffles!

K and S said...

ooh truffles, I hope the weather holds up for you guys, Rowena!

Take care.
Kat

K said...

How cute! I've never seen such small bananas before.

K and S said...

definitely different, K! but really delicious :)

Take care.
Kat