Tuesday, September 30, 2014

keiraku's char siu

The other day on tv, there was a chinese restaurant that shared their char siu recipe.

I'm always interested in finding new recipes that taste like "home". This char siu recipe comes really close.

Keiraku's Char Siu

200 grams pork belly block
1 tablespoon shoyu (soy sauce)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon sake (rice wine)
1/2 teaspoon 5 spice (powder)

Put everything in a ziploc bag and marinate overnight.

Bake at 180C (350F) for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for another 15 minutes.

NOTES: The original recipe doesn't say to put everything into a ziploc bag, but it was the easiest way to marinate something and massage/flip it every time I opened the refrig.

After baking it for 30 minutes, the clear pork fat that was in the oven was actually glisteningly beautiful!

I let the meat rest for 5 minutes and I sliced it. It wasn't cooked, so I sliced everything and put it back into the oven for another 5 minutes.

Tastewise, it is close to the Cantonese style char siu that I grew up with. I like that it doesn't use all that red food coloring that we see in Hawaii.

I'm freezing most of this and will use it in fried rice. I'm making this again.

9 comments:

Marie said...

Sounds fantastic! I am pretty surprised at the short list of ingredients. Gotta try it!

Dennis K. said...

Nice, I love tasty and easy recipes!

Rowena said...

Same here on the food coloring, even if it makes such a visual impact as a filling in manapua. Yum!

Anonymous said...

Thanx for this recipe - is it the same char siu they use in Japanese style ramen? I ask cuz I have to buy it at $12.99 per lb. at Ninjiya and sure would love to save some kala! Mahalo -N

K and S said...

I was too Marie, I hope it works for you :)

me too Dennis :)

super visual Rowena :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

K and S said...

Sorry N, this char siu is the type they put into manapua (char siu bao), kinda on the sweet side?! The Japanese char siu for ramen is actually called "yakibuta".

Take care.
Kat

K and S said...

Thanks Kirk :)

Take care!
Kat

Rinshinomori said...

We are always looking for that elusive recipe and like you, mine has been char siu as well. I like both baked and cooked in a pot versions.

For meat, I really rely on instant thermometer. This will work will for this char siu.

Happy New Year to you and your husband. BTW, we are coming to Osaka in early March to catch a ship from Osaka harbor to other Asian capitals. Spending 4 days in Osaka.

K and S said...

a cruise sounds fun, Rinshinomori! Have fun:)

Take care.
Kat