Saturday, October 25, 2014

on the lanai

About a month ago, I told you that I planted some brussels sprouts on the lanai...well, then there were these green aphid looking thingies.

I sprayed them with a chili pepper water mixture, but that didn't work.

I then added some dish soap and turned the nozzle to a harder stream and that seemed to work.

Until I saw these teeny fuzzy grey-beige-y worms...I had to put on my specs to get all of them off!

Not to mention I had to check on the plants every morning for almost a week...

And then I saw on television that the worms like to attack the plants at night, so I started to cover them.

I used the liners I have for my garbage basket in the sink, they are soft and made of poly-something-something but allow the plants to get air.

It seems to be working.

And then I brought the ranunculus indoors so that it could get some direct sunlight. Kinda looks like celery though...

It doesn't look like it but, the one in the pot on the left just started to sprout.

The kale (which also got attacked by the green aphid looking thingies) isn't doing to well, but the swiss chard and two types of parsley (italian and cilantro) are doing fine.

How is your garden doing?

7 comments:

jalna said...

Good idea to use the poly-something-something. Me and Kona do snail patrols at night. Last night I was a little too late and a snail ate through a good bit of one of my succulent plants.

Kozue said...

I was surprised... It sounds so difficult. And your creative ideas are so fine!

K and S said...

boo to the snails, Jalna!

Thanks Kozue :)

Take care you two.
Kat

Rowena said...

My garden is done for the season. Pulled out all the toms, the zukes, and just letting the rucola go to seed so that they can manage on their own next year. Speaking of next year....it had better be good summer. I dunno what happened this year.

K and S said...

yeah summer was kinda krazy Rowena! hoping for a more fruitful summer next year :)

Take care.
Kat

K said...

I hope these grow better with the bags!

K and S said...

me too K!

Take care.
Kat