Tuesday, November 25, 2014

this & that

This past weekend was a 3-day weekend and we went to Awajishima, an island near the Kobe area, for two days. I have to get my thoughts together and photos in order, so I'm posting a photo of the beautiful sunset we saw yesterday. I took this photo from the train.

On the downside...Japan is going through another butter shortage. I recently bought a 450 gram block of unsalted for 900-something yen and divvied it up into 9-50 gram pieces. I didn't need that much unsalted butter, but since the market I went to was the only place selling butter, I bought the only size they had. They also limited us to 1 block.

Satoshi was amazed I took out my scale to weigh each piece...um, yeah, when you bake it kinda needs to be precise...

I also needed salted butter and ended up buying a teeny 100 gram tub for 300-something yen.

With this shortage I am afraid that most bakeries will switch over to margarine...though I am hoping my favorite bakeries won't.

To end this on a good note...Thanksgiving is coming up this week. We won't be celebrating but will be thinking of all of our friends and family around the world.

Thank you for all your kind messages and comments. We appreciate YOU!

Have a good week!


5 comments:

jalna said...

I've read . . . less cows, hot weather. Okay, makes sense for why there's a butter shortage. But then there should be a milk shortage too, right? Is there?

KirkK said...

Butter shortage again? Love that photo Kat. Can't wait to read about your trip.

Rowena said...

No turkey tomorrow? I'm debating whether we should get a couple f turkey pieces, but only if I can als find pumpkin puree to make pie.

K and S said...

weirdly no milk shortage Jalna :p

again Kirk...hope we don't disappoint you with this trip.

I'm probably making a batch of Greek nachos, Rowena, hope you find some pumpkin purée :)

Take care everyone!
Kat

K said...

Oh no! I hope the shortage doesn't last too long!