Saturday, August 29, 2015

mw restaurant

Even though her schedule was kinda tight, I was lucky that my friend, Mineko had a little time to meet up.

Since we both had not been to MW Restaurant yet, we decided to have lunch there.

We started out by sharing the unagi butterfish arancini...unagi (eel) and butterfish are mixed with a risotto, scooped out into tiny orbs then deep fried. When plated it sat on homemade tsukudani nori and a schmear of kabayaki mustard on the plate.

These were crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside...wow!

For my main, I ordered one of their specials...duck pastrami burger.

Duck pastrami was ground up then formed into a "burger" patty, then it was grilled, topped with some bacon, cheese, a slather of sriracha mayo and served with lettuce, tomato, and pickled red onion all on toasted Japanese rye bread...this was a bit too salty for me.

Alongside the sandwich were barbecue fries...think barbecue chips in "fry" form...lots of flavor (no need for that ketchup that was served on the side).

Mineko had the ginger onaga (red snapper) this was cooked in a Chinese-style broth and topped with lup cheong, cilantro and bok choy (?)

Of course we saved room for dessert...I had their MW Candy Bar...this stuff was lethal!

A black truffle caramel, salty and sweet. A scoop of their ice cream and the very rich candy bar topped with some edible gold leaf.

Mineko had their tropical brûlée which was refreshing! tapioca pearls, lilikoi (passion fruit) custard, tropical fruits...so good!

I'm glad we got a chance to meet up, it was nice seeing her.

Maybe next year, when Satoshi and I come back to Hawaii, I'll be able to bring him here.

Thank you for lunch, Mineko!

MW Restaurant
1538 Kapiolani Boulevard
Honolulu, Hawaii
Phone: 808.955.6505
Lunch: served Monday-Friday 10:30-16:00
Dinner: served everyday from 16:00 until 21:00 (Monday-Thursday, Sunday), until 22:00 (Friday & Saturday)

3 comments:

KirkK said...

What a nice lunch Kat! This place had been on my list; so now I gotta go.....

K and S said...

I hope you get a chance to go Kirk, my cousin and her husband went for dinner and they loved it!

Take care:)
Kat

K said...

Everything sounds delicious!