Wednesday, September 21, 2016

library card

Do you borrow books from the library?

I rarely do.

This past weekend was a 3-day weekend but we ended up not really going anywhere because of the rain/typhoon.

We did, go to the library for "research".

Satoshi was looking up info for a trip we are thinking of taking to Tohoku.

Me, I was interested in looking at a book I saw featured in another book.

When I checked on the computer, the book I was interested in was at another library, so I requested it to be brought to one closer to us.

I put in my request and the clerk told me that my library card was expired.

Geez, I didn't even realize there was an expiration date on it!

Apparently, my card was REALLY expired, like 3 years past the expiration....oops!

Thirteen years ago, I had requested the card so that I could take information out on kamon (family crests).

Can't believe it has been that long since I was researching that...

On another subject, did you know that most people go to the library in Japan to read manga? I was shocked when I first saw this 13 years ago.

When I was going to college, the only time I stepped into a library was to use their resources, like encyclopedias (do people even use those now?! maybe not with the internet now, yeah?!).

Satoshi said he never went to the library for research during college...

Have you borrowed anything from or gone to the library recently?

11 comments:

tofugirl said...

I love the library! Especially now with a baby-they run all kinds of parent-baby programs which is great. Plus they have a surprisingly good dvd collection. I have to admit though I don't borrow too many books anymore. ..

Anonymous said...

We don't even have libraries in my county. Have to go to Cairo to use one. I really miss being able to check-out books for free.

Anonymous said...

I'm a librarian! :)
My son also goes with grandma every week to the children's storytime at the public library. It includes several stories and a craft. It's great!

K and S said...

Tofugirl, I'm glad they have all sorts of programs for you and baby!

Oh wow Anon, that is rough!

So cool Anon, my mom was a high school librarian.

Take care everyone!
Kat

Rowena said...

I don't think libraries are a big thing here, like how it is in the states, and if I need to do research, the innernetz can be done in your pj's at home.

K and S said...

true about the pj's Rowena:)

Take care!
Kat

jalna said...

I do have a card . . . somewhere.

alibaba37 said...

I used it a lot during college, because it was a nice quite place for me to actually focus. I do take my son, whose 5, often because we love books! I haven't checked out a book for myself since he was a baby though. I don't think people use encyclopedia's anymore either.

Happy Little Bento said...

I must go to the library 3x a week, for cookbooks, novels for me, kid books, DVDs, and yup my son reads manga - there's a whole separate manga section and that's where all the youth hang out. Our cards have to be renewed as well, maybe yearly?

KirkK said...

Good lord, a library card! The second job I ever had (the first was picking pineapple for the summer) was as a student helper first at Kaimuki, then McCully Library.

K and S said...

Jalna :)

so interesting Alibaba37 :)

that is interesting to hear too Sheri :)

oh wow, Kirk! I wonder if pineapple picking is still a summer job these days?!

Take care everyone!
Kat