Thursday, October 19, 2017

rainy sunday in kyoto

Sunday was rainy but Satoshi wanted to check out an exhibit at the Kyoto National Museum, so instead of going through similar kraziness like what we experienced with Hokusai, I decided to do my own thing and went on a cafe crawl.

I started at Ichikawaya Coffee. A tiny shop located off of Higashiyama-dori.

At first when I got there, there was a line, but because most parties were couples, I got the only seat left along their window seats.

I ordered their bacon mibuna sandwich. Mibuna is a veg similar to mizuna but with a little more "spiciness" like mustard cabbage. Apparently these days, it is mostly found in Kyoto and the surrounding areas.

The mibuna in this sandwich was pickled, it added a nice zing to the sandwich.

I also liked the nicely toasted milk bread that they used which was a little sweet.

The iced coffee was nice and strong too.

After breakfast, I walked back to the Shijo area. The rain was drizzling off and on.

After some window shopping, my next stop was Kiln Coffee Shop, the shop that is located under the "super friendly" Kiln...ahem!

I had their gorgonzola cheesecake which was topped with fresh figs.

The gorgonzola cheese wasn't overpowering and there were lots of walnuts in the cheesecake...delicious!

Bummer though there were these 2 inconsiderate Korean tourists sitting next to me that insisted on taking a bazillion photos of each other, while laughing and talking loudly.

Talk about irritating and noisy...

Late lunch with Satoshi was at Oreno Pan Okumura in Gion.

Meh, we didn't care to much for this place...the food seemed a bit overpriced...maybe that was why this place was super empty?!

Coffees before riding the train at Arabica Kyoto inside of Fujii Daimaru.

Despite the rain, Satoshi and I both got to do what we wanted.

I hope to be back to both cafes (hopefully with Satoshi in tow!)

Ichikawaya Coffee
396-2 Kanei-cho
Higashiyama, Kyoto
Phone: 075.748.1354
Hours: 9:00-18:00
Closed Tuesdays

Kiln Coffee Shop
194 Sendo-cho, Murakamiju Bldg 1F
Shimogyo, Kyoto
Phone: 075.353.3810
Closed Wednesdays
Hours: 11:00-23:00

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the cheesecake a savory dish, vs. sweet? It sounds delicious, but I can see where it could go either way.

jalna said...

I just saw a program on NHK called The Lost Hokusai. I liked it a lot.

K and S said...

The cheesecake was slightly sweet Anon, you are right though, savory would be nice and with wine!

He had nice and interesting works Jalna.

Take care you two.
Kat

KirkK said...

Not such a great day Kat. Hope things are better next time.

K and S said...

it was okay Kirk but definitely could have been better :)

Take care!
Kat