Sunday, August 23, 2026

hodaka beef

Host Mom messaged me the other day whether we would like beef or grapes

I told her whatever she chose we would be grateful to receive

Then she messaged and asked thinly sliced or bite sized yakiniku meat

I told her thinly sliced

So that is what she sent to us

8 beautifully marbled slices of wagyu from Hodaka Beef, a butcher counter in the shopping arcade down the street from where Host Mom and Dad live

with 4 of the slices I made rolled beef with Japanese tartar sauce

I rolled iceberg lettuce and some shiso from the freezer in these

for the tartar sauce I used takuan, rakkyo and shibazuke

the beef was so tender!

then with the other 4 slices I rolled them with iceberg and onions

And used some kalbi sauce

I should've drizzled some sauce as I was cooking this and also served some to dip in

The piece of tallow that came with the beef, I cut and put into the freezer to use whenever I make fried rice

Thank you Host Mom & Dad! we appreciate your kindness

6 comments:

  1. rolled beef with lettuce? I guess since thinly sliced, it cooks really fast. and frozen shiso? to freeze, you just put in baggie and freeze? I have to think of freezing more stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. V, I washed the shiso, dried them, then julienned them, portioned it out then froze it. It kinda turned dark green/blackish when it defrosted. I planned to put the frozen shiso into rice, but haven't used it that way yet. Take care! Kat

      Delete

We appreciate your comments, we don't appreciate spam. All comments will be looked over. Hurtful, rude or ones that link to advertisements will be deleted.
Thanks for stopping by!